Waypoint finder

Discussion in 'GPS Software' started by saperka, Nov 9, 2023.

1. saperka

saperka

Can you recommend an Android program for finding waypoints set from a GPX or KLM file? It should support at least 500 points in the input file and provide the distance to the target with an accuracy of 1 m. The GPS Waypoint Finder program is good, but in this program you cannot select points from the list, which is difficult if there are many of these points. It's best if the program is free.

saperka, Nov 9, 2023
  2. saperka

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 10, 2023
  3. saperka

saperka

I mean an Android application that will lead me in the field to specific waypoints for which I have WGS84 coordinates.

saperka, Nov 10, 2023
  4. saperka

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't think there is a program /app. where you can select a single point from a Track, this is why I suggested converting the Track into individual Waypoints / POIs, you would then be able to load the Waypoints into something like GPS Waypoint Finder, as for the 1 metre accuracy, this is not determined by the program /app. it is determined by the GPS Receiver and you won't get it from the GPSR in a cellphone

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 10, 2023
  5. saperka

saperka

I didn't write that I wanted to select individual points from a Track. I have such individual points (their ready coordinates) as a GPX POIs file.
    I already wrote about the disadvantages of the GPS Waypoint Finder app. in the first post.
    When it comes to the precision of 1 m, I had in mind just the limitations of the application (not GPS module). A situation such as in the GPS Compass app., which shows the distance to the target with a precision of 0.01 km (= 10 m), is unacceptable.

saperka, Nov 10, 2023
  6. saperka

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The App. 'doesn't have any (accuracy) limitations, it simply reports the DOP (Dilution of precision) figures supplied to it by the GPSR module, it is the module that calculates / guesses how much error there is likely to be depending on how many satellites it can see and if they are in 'good' positions, the same App. running on different platforms will report varying degrees of error purely working in the DOP from the module, if you want better accuracy you need a better GPS module not a better App.

Most Apps. I have seen display DOP in feet or metres, it may be that 0.01 km is used for all DOP values between 10 and 20 metres and it would then change to metres for values less than 10 metres but at the end of the day the DOP is a calculated guess, the GPRS module can't give a very precise accuracy figure without knowing it's true location, so it has to estimate it

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 11, 2023
Ask a Question