What Android device for my external antenna?

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by Giulio, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Giulio

Giulio

Hello,

I'm using a Samsung Tab 4 7" (Android 4.4.2) as navigation device mounted on my motorcycle:

Selection_822.jpg

It works quite well (for my needs), unfortunately it loose the GPS signal very often and get minutes to lock satellites again. Also, sometimes it takes minutes for a "cold" start, other times it take just seconds. This behavior appears to me as to be somehow erratic and random.

So I decided to buy an external GPS Antenna, namely the Globsat BU353S4 equipped with the SiRF Star IV chip:

Selection_821.jpg

Just after receiving the antenna, I discovered that my Tab 4 version (SM-T230) does not support external devices plugged to his USB port. In other words, it does not support the USB-OTG (On-The-Go) cables.
    Even the power led on the antenna stay off after plugging it to the Tab 4... no signs of life. : (

Somebody else is experimenting this kind of problems in plugging an external USB antenna to an android phone/tablet ?
    What (cheap) Android device I should look for?

I've read that the Google Nexus 7 (model year 2013) support OTG natively. Any experience with such device? Should I buy it?

Thanks in advance for any hint/suggestion.

Giulio, Nov 10, 2019
    johannawells likes this.
  2. Giulio

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think you will find a lot of problems using this USB GPS receiver, not only do you need a tablet / cell phone that will accept OTG devices, but you will also have to find an Android App. that will look for an external GPS receiver, as all android smart phones have a built-in GPS receiver Apps will not be 'looking' for a GPS receiver connected to the USB socket

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 10, 2019
    johannawells likes this.
  3. Giulio

Giulio

Giulio, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Giulio

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Ah, so the manufacturers of the external GPS receiver have produced an Android App. to create a 'bridge' from it's product to any App. looking for an internal GPS receiver

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 11, 2019
  5. Giulio

Giulio

Giulio, Nov 11, 2019
Ask a Question