What are your expectations for a GPS?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by JohnnyBib, Feb 18, 2016.

1. JohnnyBib

JohnnyBib

What kind of expectations do you have for smaller GPS modules like this (http://www.waveshare.com/uart-gps-neo-7m-c.htm)?
    Expectations such as:

GPS lock speed from cold, warm,or hot
    Non-optimal condition connectivity (Cloudy, under trees, indoors)
    Accuracy for longitude, latitude, altitude, and speed

And anything else you normally test for.
    Any input is greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks!

JohnnyBib, Feb 18, 2016
  2. JohnnyBib

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 20, 2016
  3. JohnnyBib

JohnnyBib

Thanks for the info. I don't have much experience with GPS so I was wondering if it is expected that they work decently well indoors, and in places with obstructions such as trees and buildings.
    I am planning on using this model in a product that I will be selling so I wanted to get a feel of what a customer/user's expectation of the functionality of a GPS would be.

From my testing so far it doesn't work too well indoors, and can be inconsistent in areas with buildings and trees.

JohnnyBib, Feb 22, 2016
  4. JohnnyBib

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Expectations have definitely improved over the years, the first GPS I owned some 20 years ago definitely did not work in doors at all, by adding another set of satellites, EGNOS / WAAS, parallel satellite tracking and much more sensitive receivers, this has changed somewhat, however although it is sometimes possible to maintain multiple satellites when sitting in-doors and 12 feet from a window, it is still very difficult to get an initial 'fix' when in-doors and you should not expect this. GPS's still require direct 'line-of-sight' of multiple satellites to guarantee an 'initial fix' and your customers should not be expecting anything from in-door use. Devices that say they can navigate in-doors usually rely on a 'last known GPS' position and then use dead reckoning in the device (accelerometers, movement sensors etc.).

I would say that your findings are normal and what you should expect, i.e. you won't get be able to improve the performance without using a very much more expensive and bulky unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 22, 2016
    JohnnyBib likes this.
  5. JohnnyBib

JohnnyBib

That's good to hear.
    Thanks so much for your help!

JohnnyBib, Feb 22, 2016
Ask a Question