What kind of GPS?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by brokengarmin, Nov 10, 2017.

1. brokengarmin

brokengarmin

Hello guys and gals. I do a lot of hunting dirtbiking and ski-doing, and the bush where I typically go has tons of trails and new ones get made all the time and some get blocked due to loggers in the area. I would like to be able to create almost like a map of all the roads and stuff almost like a regular car GPS has. Does any one have any suggestions of the best GPS to do this with? To map out all the trails? Also preferably lets say 300$ or less? Or what is the cheapest one I can get?

brokengarmin, Nov 10, 2017
  2. brokengarmin

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are a couple of ways to achieve this, almost all* 'outdoor' GPSs will create a Track of where you have been as a file on the unit, if this Track is left in the unit, it can be displayed on top of the current map of the area the next time you go that way, you can also copy the Track to a computer, where you can add it to other stored Tracks or edit it etc., this new Track file can then be downloaded to the same GPS or a different one

For Garmin GPSs you can also add tracks / roads etc. to Open Street Maps and then download a version of the map with your additions, to your GPS, however you may have to wait a month or so before the new map is available for download

* Units for as little as CDN$ 80 will do this, see link (Click HERE) NOTE - the Etrex 10 has very limited memory for maps, the Etrex 20 (CDN$ 215), has expandable memory

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 10, 2017
Ask a Question