What mapping to use on a Garmin GPS?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by BML, Jul 21, 2021.

1. BML

BML

I have just looked at a Forum that stated they wanted Garmin users to use Street Map rather than Garmin mapping. Could someone please explain what that's all about?

BML, Jul 21, 2021
  2. BML

BML

I meant, "OpenStreetMap Data".

BML, Jul 21, 2021
  3. BML

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are only a few different mapping companies that GPS manufacturers use for the mapping on their units, Garmin use Navtech (now called HERE) on their products while Tomtom use TeleAtlas (which they own), the maps supplied by these mapping companies are not available free of charge, they are either sold with a unit or sold as a stand alone product for a particular group of units.

The Open Street Maps project was set up some 15 years ago so that members of the public could contribute to a map that was basically free for anyone to use, there are some copyright conditions but it is basically a map that anyone can use, because of this OSM is frequently used on the internet for map references, the maps downloaded directly from OSM are not installable on Garmin units, however other organisations on the net convert OSM maps for Garmin units, I have setup a page on this forum that shows how to access these maps here :-

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/can-i-get-free-maps.46545/

As to why you should be using OSM rather than Garmin maps?, you don't give much info. In your post, but a few reasons are they are more up to date and they are free

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 21, 2021
  4. BML

BML

Is "OpenStreetMap Data" generally considered better than Navtech/HERE?

BML, Jul 21, 2021
  5. BML

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I was still adding to my post #3 when I saw post #4 so it might be worth another read

There are pros and cons to OSM, pros are more up to date, more detailed and free, cons are the maps tend to be bigger (more detailed), this can sometimes crash GPS units, I have both Garmin maps and OSM maps on my units (they can exist side by side), I tend to use Garmin maps for driving to a destination as they are more reliable, I use OSM when I get to the destination as they show much more detail

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 21, 2021
  6. BML

BML

"As to why you should be using OSM rather than Garmin maps?, you don't give much info. In your post," It might be because I'm in my mid 80s or am simply just thick or because I'm only just starting to learn Garmin but I'm finding it cumbersome to use. EG Attempting to find how to actually access the Garmin maps which I thought were on my computer in order to be able to build a route which I could then load onto my GPS.

BML, Jul 21, 2021
  7. BML

BML

Post 4 states, "Is "OpenStreetMap Data" generally considered better than Navtech/HERE?" I can't understand why you say its worth reading again.

BML, Jul 21, 2021
  8. BML

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Because the green section below was added after your post #4

2021-07-21_12.34.11.jpg

You could not have read it until after you wrote post #4, you will notice that your question was answered in that 'green' section

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 21, 2021
  9. BML

BML

I used to managed very well with Auto Route until it was retired. I apologise for being so slow but I need to ask the following question.
    I just keyed, "OpenStreetMap Data" into the Internet and the first mention that came up was about downloading it which I assume would allow me to set up a rout but could you please tell me how it is loaded onto the Garmin GPS? Having said that I've still not found out how to access the Garmin mapping on my computer.

BML, Jul 21, 2021
  10. BML

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In order to create a Route on your computer you need to install Garmin Basecamp, Basecamp can 'see' maps already on your GPS (when your GPS is connected to the same computer) and access any suitable maps on your computer, It can also send new maps to your GPS, using these maps you can draw the Route on your computer screen and then send it to your GPS

The link in post #3 will allow you to download OSM maps that can be installed onto a Garmin GPS using the instructions in the download links, however using Basecamp you will be able to create a Route using the maps already on your GPS without installing OSM maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 21, 2021
  11. BML

BML

Many thanks for your help in that I now have a map on my screen but can't say I like the design although not having looked at OSM I have no idea if its any better. Now to see if BaseCamp carries details such as roundabouts and a text list of map points such as the old AutoRoute. Hope that doesn't make me appear dissatisfied.

BML, Jul 21, 2021
Ask a Question