what size memory card needed

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by tnt92fox, Oct 8, 2021.

1. tnt92fox

tnt92fox

I have a Garmin Drive 51 and I think it came loaded with US and Canada maps. I just updated it and it said my device was not big enough, so only updated with 49 states. Never gave me an option to use a memory card. 2 questions: how big of a memory card would I need for the US and Canada maps?; and 2) can I undo the update to get my original maps back?

tnt92fox, Oct 8, 2021
  2. tnt92fox

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The minimum size of microSD recommended by Garmin for map storage is 4GB, but as the cost of these cards is quite low I would install the maximum size for your Drive 51 which is 32 GB, you probably won't be able to get the original maps back, but using Garmin Express you can re-run the download option after fitting the new microSD card

I have found that Garmin Express sometimes fails to use internal and microSD memory space properly with big maps, a way around this is to select the 'Download to Computer only' option in Garmin Express, this will store all downloaded files on to your computer, you can then use the 'Map Install' option in Garmin Basecamp, this has the advantage of selecting where the maps are installed (either internal memory or microSD), you can also select just a part of a map area to download rather than the whole map and it will show which maps are currently stored, how much space is available on internal and microSD memory and how much is required for any new downloads

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 8, 2021
  3. tnt92fox

tnt92fox

Thanks. I followed your advice and now have the US/Canada map I wanted. Loaded a 32Gb card and selected change maps, and it downloaded

tnt92fox, Oct 9, 2021
Ask a Question