When hitting a detour question

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by cpy84, May 28, 2020.

1. cpy84

cpy84

hi all. I have a friend who sends me rides from basecamp which I install onto my gps.
    occasionally I hit a detour , closed road, or whatever. the ride has way points listed.
    once I go off the route, the gps gets all goofy , tells me to make u turn and will not put me back on the ride after the detour.
    so essentially I have to end the ride .
    is there any gps that will recalculate around the detour and pick up the ride again ? I see there are several units from 200.00 up to 900.00 dollars, but none of them shows it will recalculate. if I start the route over, the gps will take me back to the home point which sucks if I am 3 hours into an eight hour route.

he has an old zumo 500 which never seems to give him a problem. he told me not use the detailed road route, but just follow the non detailed map which doesn't offer any info as where to turn or distance , just a pink line showing where to go.

thanks for any help offered.

cpy84, May 28, 2020
  2. cpy84

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The problem you have is because of the way the Route was generated in Basecamp, a Route can be made up of just two points, a 'Start' and a Destination, with this sort of Route the path between these two points is calculated by the Satnav by following roads on the map, but which roads it uses can be unpredictable, so if the user wants to go via a certain set of points he can add extra points between the Start and the destination to force the Satnav to go a certain way.

There are two sorts of points that can be inserted into the Route, one is called a Waypoint, this type must be visited and if it is not you will be directed back to it, the other type of point is called a shaping point, with this type of point the Satnav will direct you towards it but if you avoid it the Satnav will recalculate a path towards the Desination ( or the next Waypoint), it will not force you to go back to the shaping point

So to fix your problem you can either remove all Waypoints leaving only the Start and Destination, or you can change the waypoints into shaping points which don't have to be visited

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2020
  3. cpy84

cpy84

so your saying I should delete the way points in between home and end ?

cpy84, May 28, 2020
  4. cpy84

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes

The words 'Route', 'Track', 'Waypoint' etc, have a specific meaning on Garmin devices, have a look at this link (Click HERE) for an explanation, there are also some details on Waypoints and Shaping Points in this link (Click HERE)

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2020
  5. cpy84

cpy84

thanks

cpy84, May 28, 2020
  6. cpy84

cpy84

so taking your lead and we are doing a ride tomorrow. he sent me the ride. I downloaded it to base camp.
    then to my gps.opened the ride on gps. it had 10 waypoints in between home and end. I was able to change 7 of them to shaping points, but 3 of them just would not follow through to a shaping point. so now I am confused as to why not. unit calculate the ride and stops at 62 %. on those 3

cpy84, May 31, 2020
  7. cpy84

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You should have more control over the editing of the Route if it is done in Basecamp rather than on the Satnav, you will also be able to see the effect of each change more easily on the computer screen

Nuvi-Nebie, May 31, 2020
  8. cpy84

cpy84

thanks for your help. I did it my way by making them shaping points on the gps. didn't work out to well.

I have learned how to change them on base camp.i have a 6 hour ride set up for sunday. heres hoping.

cpy84, Jun 3, 2020
  9. cpy84

cpy84

another question if your willing to help.about base camp. making everything shaping points worked great.
    my issue now is in basecamp when I move the other guys home way point to my gps coordinates, it changes the route to a straight line to a certain point . what is the correct way ?

cpy84, Jul 1, 2020
  10. cpy84

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am not sure I understand what you are doing, but with Routes, you don't get straight lines the Route always follows a road on the map, maybe you could send a picture of the screen with the straight line on it

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 1, 2020
  11. cpy84

cpy84

thanks for trying to help me.
    i finally sat down with a guy that showed me what i was not doing right with basecamp. not that i was doing wrong, just didnt know what i was doing.

did a 200 mile ride yesterday with the wife after i set the ride to my home start and end and made everything in between shaping points , and all was good.

cpy84, Jul 5, 2020
Ask a Question