Will loading a map wipe the preloaded map out of a Nuvi 2789?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by fpiette, Sep 24, 2022.

1. fpiette

fpiette

I have a Nuvi 2789 with a preloaded City Navigator map.
    Is there any risk that this map will be wiped out if I install another map (An OSM map actually) ?

Thanks.

fpiette, Sep 24, 2022
  2. fpiette

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No an OSM map should not overwrite your City Navigator map, the safest way to install the OSM map is using Garmin Basecamp, if you get an OSM map configured for Basecamp installation you can install the OSM map onto your computer and then use the Map Install feature in Basecamp, this will show free memory space on both internal memory and microSD card and allow the new map to be installed onto the 2789

I would also suggest that the OSM map be installed to microSD card, leaving the internal memory space for the City Navigator map

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 25, 2022
    fpiette likes this.
  3. fpiette

fpiette

Thanks. I will use BaseComap to install OSM Map.
    I see that there is already a map on my SD card. I have no idea about which one. How can I discover which map it is?
    The file name is "nüvi 2789\Memory Card\Map\D6210220A.img" and is 2.61GB in size. There are a few other very small files with similat file names.

fpiette, Sep 25, 2022
  4. fpiette

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Using Basecamp >> Install Map you can select either the internal memory or the microSD card and then display what maps are already in place, the map will have some text describing what it is in it's header, this is different to the file name and should tell you what you want to know

D6210220A = City Navigator CNEU NTU 2023.10 SOUTH, so it looks like the microSD is being used for the south part of the CN map

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 25, 2022
    fpiette likes this.
  5. fpiette

fpiette

I have done that. It worked (MapInstall is really more difficult to select a sub-map than MapSource but it works).
    And you are right: I still have City Navigator installed.

Thank you so much for your help.

fpiette, Sep 25, 2022
Ask a Question