Zumo 595 issues...drivesmart 65

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by me29, Feb 10, 2020.

1. me29

me29

Hi:

So I have a Zumo 595 and I am thinking about trading it in. I have had numerous problems with the batteries (and I had a friend help me fix the issues). My eyesight is not as it once was and it is becoming harder to see the screen. I am thinking about drivesmart 65 to install on my motorcycle instead.

I have a few questions.

Is there a way to maginfy the zumo screen?
    Has the battery issue been resolved?
    Can I actually put a drivesmart 65 on the bike (worried about vibration).

I am not really into curvy roads or tpms, or all the other features. Just want a gps to take me to point a to point b.

I have an Iphone 11 pro and am not going to mount that on the bike.

Thoughts?

me29, Feb 10, 2020
  2. me29

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would have thought the biggest problem with moving from a 'bike' satnav like a zumo to an 'in-car' satnav is the fact that the zumo is waterproof - the 'in-car' Drivesmart 65 isn't

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 11, 2020
  3. me29

me29

I am not worried about being waterproof, just the vibration from the bike. I just want to make sure the vibration will not hurt the GPS.

me29, Feb 11, 2020
  4. me29

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think there is a risk that an In-car unit will be more susceptible to vibration than the zumo, here is what Garmin have to say :-

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 12, 2020
  5. me29

Charlie

I also have a drivesmart and hadn't to date considered attaching it to my motorcycle.

Presumably, the mounting arm is different on the bike? If so, then wouldn't it be a little difficult to attach the drivesmart to the handlebars?

You might let me know if it worked so I don't need to buy a GPS for the bike.
    Thanks

Charlie, Jun 18, 2020
  6. me29

Charlie

I mounted this as best I could on the bike and despite also securing it with cable ties it really doesn't work. Also, the battery life of the drivesmart, once it's not attached to a power supply, is pretty damn poor.

I guess I'm left with having to bite the bullet and get a suitable GPS for the bike.

In order to save some money, I'm going to share the device (and the cost) with my father in law. He wants to get the Zumo 595 but I was thinking about the newer XT. It costs a little more but the battery lasts a couple of hours longer, which is important as we'll be sharing it and not hardwiring to our bikes.

I'd be grateful if anybody has any advice? In the meantime, I shall keep researching.......o_O

Charlie, Jul 4, 2020
  7. me29

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It really would help if you could power the unit from the bike or have an external power source such as a USB Power Bank, the batteries in satnaves are not big enough for long term use, this is made worse by the high brightness of the display needed on a bike

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 4, 2020
  8. me29

Charlie

I think you're absolutely right that powering the GPS from the bike is the best option. I had a look at some youtube videos and to be fair it doesn't seem like too difficult of a job.

I hadn't even considered the effect of the sun on the display - so thanks for the advice!

Charlie, Jul 4, 2020
Ask a Question