Zumo 595 missing data on the recorded track line

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by stratus, May 5, 2020.

1. stratus

stratus

I am very experienced user of Garmin devices. Almost 20 years soon. I use to save all my tracks (by GTMPRO) and I have them almost 900 pieces over all the world. I have not had any problems with my GPSMAP64s, GPSMAP 276Cx, Zumo 550 and Garmin76 from old times. When I am recording a track then there is always a speed, date and current time in every point of the track. So I can find always where is taken my photo if the times in device and camera are the same.

Zumo 595 is recording a track but without any data. There are just only zeros on the place of speed, date and time. Where is a mistake and how to fix it? BaseCamp is not a solution as the problem is the same.

stratus, May 5, 2020
  2. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin files do not store speed information, they only store position and time, speed is calculated by the time taken to travel between two points, first the distance between the points is calculated, then distance divided by time gives speed.

Garmin units store both position and time in a file called Active Log, however when this file is 'Saved' or 'Archived' on some Garmin GPSs the time is removed to save space, this happens on the GPSMap60 but not the newer GPSMap 62, 64, 66 etc., I would expect the Active log on your Zumo to have both position and time but it may be being removed before saving / archiving and without time speed can't be calculated

I would try examining the Active log on your Zumo using Basecamp, you should see both Position and time like this :-
    active-log.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 5, 2020
  3. stratus

stratus

Thank you but I really know and see on my tracks since 2002 what data I have saved. The problem is that the Zumo 595 is completely different. For example I had to find a secret menu to change the "MTP Settings" to "Mass Storage" yesterday. It resolved some problems but not the track data absence.

I add 2 pictures accordingly of Zumo 550 and Zumo 595. They are different. All others Garmin devices are working like 550. Here must be some trick in hidden menu to allow speed, date and time also in 595.

zumo 550.jpg zumo 595.jpg

stratus, May 5, 2020
  4. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The point I was trying to make is that the 'Time' data is probably being lost or removed somewhere, in the main memory of your Zumo there will be a file called /GPX/Current.gpx which should have tracks containing both position and time data, Note :- Don't use files stored in /GPX/Archive or /GPX/Saved, If you are prepared to upload a copy of your current.gpx file to this thread I will take a look at it for you, I appreciate you want to use GPS Trackmaker but I suggested using Garmin Basecamp first because it is a program supplies (and supported) by Garmin and GPS Trackmaker isn't, so try Basecamp to see if you can see the time data in the current.gpx file

Nuvi-Nebie, May 5, 2020
  5. stratus

stratus

Thank you. Tomorrow I will make a new trip and I use at the same time Zumo 550 and 595 in car and for walking and marking points GPSMAP64. I can send all tracks to you for analyzing.

I know the file Current.gpx and the problem is exactly in this that it is without any data. I had to use exactly it as copy-paste in Trackmaker before I changed the 595 to "Mass Storage" because the GTMPRO did not recognize "MTP Auto Detect".

What about the Basecamp then it is not in competition in functionality with GTMPRO and ExpertGPS. I have used GTMPRO more than 15 years and all Garmin devices have worked excellent with this. My very first Garmin device was GPS 76. All devices should work with every well known programs.

stratus, May 5, 2020
  6. stratus

stratus

I send my current track logs of last journey accordingly now:
    · Zumo 550
    · Zumo 595
    · GPSMAP64

You can compare them and see that the log of Zumo 595 is in Basecamp also defective. I am talking about this all the time. Where is a trick?

Attached Files:

stratus, May 7, 2020
  7. stratus

stratus

I show now why I need the correct data of the Garmin devise and what is the final result of my every journey. I can find the data of every point on the track and find where was taken my photo for example. Zumo 595 does not allow this activity at the moment.

Attached Files:

stratus, May 7, 2020
  8. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It is possible that GPS Trackmaker is corrupting the files from your Zumo, the files you supplied were all created by GPS Trackmaker, so you need to copy the Current.gpx file directly from your 595 by connecting the 595 to your computer and copying the file DIRECTLY from the GPX folder of your 595 using the Windows file system

DO NOT USE GPS TRACKMAKER TO HANDLE THIS FILE IN ANY WAY

I can then inspect the file generated by the Zumo 595 before it is handled by GPS Trackmaker

Nuvi-Nebie, May 7, 2020
  9. stratus

stratus

It is 1,7 MB and too large to transfer here (the error notice). Have I some another direct possibility?

stratus, May 7, 2020
  10. stratus

stratus

At the meantime until I have not the direct contact I send a screenshot where I opened this file directly in BaseCamp. Here is very difficult to argue that the Zumo 595 is not the same as others items. Here is missing all necessary data.

Attached Files:

stratus, May 7, 2020
  11. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

O.K. it is possible that the 595 file size of 1.7mB is too big and has gone into an archive mode that removes time data to reduce the file size, but I have a Current.gpx file of 1.5mB on my Nuvi 56 and this file still has time data, so I think this is very unlikely

I would get a direct copy of the /GPX/current.gpx file on your 595 - MAKE SURE THIS FILE IS SAFELY STORED ON YOUR COMPUTER - then delete the track data on your 595* with :- Apps >> Where I've Been >> [more, top left 3 lines] >> Clear Travel History, you can then make one short trip using the 595, this will create a new smaller Current.gpx file that you can copy directly from the 595 to you computer and then post here

* You can copy the original Current.gpx back to your 595 at any time

Nuvi-Nebie, May 7, 2020
  12. stratus

stratus

I am very grateful you help me with this matter. Here is now my new innocent log.

Attached Files:

stratus, May 7, 2020
  13. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is good, now we are getting somewhere, the Current.gpx file in post #12 has got time data, so speed can be calculated, this is how it looks in Basecamp :-
    good.jpg

See what you get in GPX Trackmaker using this file

Nuvi-Nebie, May 7, 2020
  14. stratus

stratus

Yes, after you I tried immediately it in GTMPRO and the situation is the same. Only zeros. I have to turn to Tracmaker team again now.

I do not understand only one thing. I have at the moment 4 Garmin GPS devices and before it GPS 76. I have not had any problem before during approx. 20 years. But now suddenly with 595 ... Why? Have you made any change in system? Should Tracmaker test this device specially?

Attached Files:

stratus, May 7, 2020
  15. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You would have to ask Garmin, I have no connection with them at all, it does look like Trackmaker would need to treat the Zumo 595 differently as the 'Time' field in the Track information does appear to be in a different format :-
    Code:
    <time>2020-03-16T22:03:32Z</time> GPSMap64s
    <time>2020-02-18T12:45:31Z</time> GPSMap60Cx
    <time>2019-06-01T11:50:03Z</time>  Nuvi 56
    <time>2020-05-07T14:38:48+03:00</time> Zumo 595

Nuvi-Nebie, May 7, 2020
  16. stratus

stratus

Thank you very much you spent so much time to my problem. I will contact Garmin and TrackMaker now on the ground of your work. This device must start work.

stratus, May 8, 2020
  17. stratus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The change in time format on the Zumo 595 may be related to this software update :-

Changes made from version 2.20 to 3.20:

• Added the ability to start a LiveTrack directly from the zumo 595
    • Fixed an issue that could cause media streaming interruptions
    • Improved Bluetooth Smart connection and automatic reconnection
    • Adjusted Track app recording to use local time
    • Improved routing on trails and shaped routes that include toll avoidances
    • Improved handling Round Trips with a location added from the map
    • Added station art for Pandora browsing and improved overall UI for Media Player apps
    • Improved software stability

Nuvi-Nebie, May 8, 2020
  18. stratus

stratus

Thank you once again. I have a version 4.60. Just 5 minutes ago I wrote to Trackmaker support and sent your last note also. Lets see what happen. :)

stratus, May 8, 2020
Ask a Question