Zumo 595LM Why Are 3 Maps Showing Up Instead Of 1?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ray Sherman, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Under MyMaps on the Zumo 595LM, I have three listed North America maps. All I should have is the Zumo North America map that came with the device. Now it shows the following three....... I understand that Foursquare is POI's but, why separate from the North America Map? I don't see the necessity of having Foursquare eating up memory. Thanks, Ray

CN North America NT 2018.30 FourSquare
    North America DEM
    CN North America NT 2018.30

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Ray Sherman, Dec 9, 2017
  2. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm guessing that the Digital Elevation Model files are supplied by Garmin on units that can display maps with 3D shading (on hills etc.), you can probably delete the files as long as you don't mind losing this feature

DEM.png
    DEM files are used to display this kind of map feature

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks for the info........ Ray

Ray Sherman, Dec 10, 2017
  4. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I'm having this issue again.....
    Now my Garmin Zumo 595LM is showing my device storage as full at 95%. After seeing this, I performed a Garmin Express update to version 4.60. I'm sure it's due to the same map being downloaded three times under Basecamp Maps (see below). Plus, there is an older version there as well. I'm sure this is why I'm using up all the internal storage. Also, I always use a 32gb SD card for all my routing. Could you please tell me how to delete these duplicates? Thank you. Ray
    Garmin Basecamp 4.8.12
    Garmin Express 4.60
    MacBook Pro M1 Max O.S. Ventura 13.2

Duplicate Maps 1.jpg

Duplicate Maps 2.jpg

Full.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Ray Sherman, Feb 22, 2023
  5. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Express can get in a muddle when handling map updates, if you use the Install Maps feature in Garmin Basecamp you can examine both internal memory and microSD, delete maps etc., I always use the download to 'Computer Only' in Garmin Express and then use Basecamp to send the map to the satnav after deleting any old versions of the map, in some setups the internal and microSD memory is shown separately so you can choose where new maps are sent

As the Zumo probably has 8GB internal memory I think you will only have two versions of the map residing there, 2023.10 and 2024.10, it maybe that two versions of the map is more than 8GB and the remainder is on the microSD, this can all be sorted using Basecamp >> Install Maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 23, 2023
  6. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thank you for your help! I totally agree with you, Garmin Express certainly muddles things up sometimes. I went into both the Garmin Zumo 595LM internal 8GB folder and my 32GB SD Card Folder (below). As you can see in the Garmin folder, there isn't even a GB of information showing. None of those folders represent all the maps that are installed on the Garmin which is eating up all the space. Not sure why that is.... As for the SD card, there is an older version of City Navigator North America NT 2022.25 at 3.93GB. I now have City Navigator North America NT2024.1 on both the Zumo and in Basecamp. The older version could be or is a hiccup in moving forward without the newer one in place.... I have no idea how to download the newer version to my SD card. Obviously, there is a way... If I remember correctly, I did it through Garmin Express back then but, now i don't see an option to send it to an SD card. I've have to reduce that internal storage somehow??? I can't even open a new small route with a few waypoints without it hanging at about 40%. A perfect world would be moving the maps to my SD card and having alias's in the Garmin internal if needed. Thanks again for all your help.... Mr. oblivious here sincerely appreciates it. Ray

Routes 32GB SD Card.jpg

Routes 32GB SD Folder Info.jpg

Garmin 8GB Internal Storage.jpg

Garmin Folder Info.jpg

Ray Sherman, Feb 23, 2023
  7. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would expect maps to be in either /Garmin or /Map on the internal memory, there will be a hidden folder in the root of the internal memory called /.System it would be interesting to know how much memory this and any other hidden folders are taking up, please don't delete anything from these hidden folders they contain the units operating system

2023-02-23_15.58.38.jpg

NOTE :- If /.System is not visible from your computer you may have to place the Garmin in Mass Storage mode which is detailed on this page :-

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-secret-menus.46595/

Just below fig. 3

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 23, 2023
  8. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I tried on both Garmin and Map but, didn't come across anything. I may be trying it the wrong way as well?? Definitely hidden somewhere.... Thanks

Ray Sherman, Feb 23, 2023
Ask a Question