Zumo 660 can't update via PC, "close battery door"

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Gail-force, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Gail-force

Gail-force

Hi,

I've just got a reconditioned 660 from Garmin as my old one died. I'm trying to update the maps via the USB cable (and also hopefully charge up the battery) but my PC won't "find" the unit and when I turn the Zumo on it says "close battery door".....but I can't close the battery door because the USB cable is there...grrrr

Please help, the grinding of my teeth is affecting the dog!

Thanks,

Gail-force

Gail-force, Feb 21, 2017
  2. Gail-force

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

What oprating system is your computer running ? (Windows /Mac version), What programs are running on the computer that you intend to use with the Zumo ? (Garmin Basecamp / Garmin Express etc.)

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 22, 2017
  3. Gail-force

Gail-force

Hi, my laptop has both 10 and 8.1 but I only use 8.1 and I have Garmin Express.....it was fine with my original Zumo...this replacement one is giving me grey hairs.....I've tried charging it on the car mount and it alternates between saying it has no battery then it's charging the non-existent battery. I was wondering if I could blue-tooth the upgrades so I wouldn't need to take the back off at all and only charge it on my bike when the weather improves

Gail-force, Feb 22, 2017
  4. Gail-force

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Bluetooth link is only for commuicating with smart phones etc., so you wont be able to update maps that way, one thing you could try is using a different USB ports on your laptop (computers usually have more than one ), or a different computer if you have one. Also, the maps are probably held on the microSD card, so you could remove it from the Zumo and update it directly

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 22, 2017
  5. Gail-force

Gail-force

Nope, tried all the ports and nothing...I'm now wondering if it's a bit dodgy from Garmin as it was reconditioned.....is it supposed to turn on when it's plugged in? Is that why my PC can't find it?....Technology is great when it works!.....I didn't have a problem with my old one, just plugged it in and it updated and charged....

Gail-force, Feb 22, 2017
  6. Gail-force

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes it is supposed to turn on when plugged into a PC, I would return it if I was you, it obviously doesn't work as the old one did so its not a suitable replacement, it appears to be faulty

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 22, 2017
Ask a Question