Basecamp: Transfer data from old Mac to new Mac

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Robert M, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Robert M

Robert M

I searched this forum and couldn't locate any threads on this topic. I apologize if the threads are there.

I'm replacing my 2010 Mac with a 2023. I have tons of saved tracks and waypoints on the '10 that I'd like to transfer to the '23. Is this possible?

Robert M, Dec 11, 2023
  2. Robert M

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, in Basecamp Select : - File >> Export >> Export My Collection to create a file called My Collection.gpx on your Mac (10) then copy this file to your Mac (23) and in Basecamp select :- File >> Import My Colllection

You can also create groups of gpx files by highlighting (Blue backgroung) a group of Tracks, Waypoints etc. and selecting :- File >> Export >> Export Selection

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 12, 2023
    Robert M likes this.
  3. Robert M

Robert M

Thank you for your reply!

I have (with selected data) exported five tracks that ended up in a folder on my desk top of the old machine. Can I email that folder to myself and then retrieve it on the new machine and import those tracks into BaseCamp? Not sure how else I'd get them to the new machine.

Sorry, just not that tech savvy.

Robert M, Dec 13, 2023
  4. Robert M

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You may be able to Email gpx files, some Email systems will only allow certain file types to be attatched to Emails, if gpx is not allowed you could zip the gpx as zip files can usually be Emailed, if your Macs have SD or microSD card readers you could write the gpx to a memory card for transfer, of if not get a USB card reader or USB hard drive

I'm not a Mac user, but I understand that you can connect two Macs together via a USB-C cable and transfer files over it

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 13, 2023
    Robert M likes this.
  5. Robert M

Robert M

It worked! Thank you so much!

As I said I selected 10 tracks and exported them to the desktop (old Mac), emailed (gmail) to myself, retrieved the email on the new Mac, dragged the attachment onto Basecamp and BANG! There they are.

Could not have pulled this off without your knowledge and the generosity of your time!

Thanks again!
    Robert

PS....the tracks I'm talking about range in size from 960 to 2785 track points!

Robert M, Dec 13, 2023
Ask a Question