"dedicated GPS" modules

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by anwat, Sep 11, 2021.

1. anwat

anwat

Can anyone explain to me what a "dedicated 71-point GPS module" which is a $350.00 option on a Panasonic Toughpad I am looking to buy? I believe that the brand name is a "U-blox M8" module. Is this something that will increase my access to different satellites, or does it just improve accuracy? I spend some time in deep forests and canyons, where I sometimes loose a signal for a while. Would this potentially help this, or is it a waste of money for me? Also, would this module allow others to track my location if I choose to allow that? Where could I find out some more info on this module? I googled Ublox, but cant find anything about a 71 point GPS module.

Thanks!

anwat, Sep 11, 2021
  2. anwat

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

71 point GPS module probably refers to the number of satellites the GPS can take data from at any one time, it is a fairly useless term as all modern GPSs can do this, when there was only one set of (GPS) satellites there were never more than 12 visible at any one time, so manufactures refered to '12 Channel' units, Today with 4 or more constellations of satellites it is still only possible 'see' about 50 satelites in the sky at the same time

There is very little point in looking at plug-In or add on GPS modules when the cheapest smartphone or tablet had a GPS receiver built-in, all modern units will be able to handle multiple constellations of satellites

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 11, 2021
  3. anwat

anwat

Thanks for the extra $350 you just saved me. As soon as the toughpad gets here, I'll get this up and running...sounds like things have gotten much more simple in the last few years...no more external antennas, everything is automatic, and more satellites to use. I guess technology does have it's good points!

anwat, Sep 13, 2021
  4. anwat

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't say which Panasonic Toughpad you are thinking of getting, some of the ones I found online were on sale in 2011 and although they do have GPS built-in they won't be able to use the newer satellite constellations that a modern unit would, Panasonic also seem to be selling what I would describe as portable computers rather than the tablets / smartphones discussed in your other post Here, a portable computer (that may be used indoors) is not going to to have GPS as a priotity which may be why they offer a GPS upgrade, it may not be the best choice for GPS use

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 13, 2021
  5. anwat

anwat

Thanks for the advice, the pads I'm looking at are mostly the military turn-ins...the FZ-G1. The reason I chose that one is simply the screen resolution and the ability to read it in daylight. I'm looking at a MK4, which was released in 2016 and continued until July of 2019. Don't know how old my particular one is, but it has 4G LTE and a 6th gen chip, so I'd say probably 2018 or 2019. The upgraded gps is most likely something the customers trading these things in wanted, I'm seeing things like using the upgraded GPS to control agricultural machinery and other industrial applications. While I agree it's a bit of overkill, and I don't need all the things that come with a tablet, if I"m going to pay 5-600 bucks for a fish finder so I can get a clear, daylight readable screen, I figured I might as well get a tablet instead, I'm a lot more likely to want to write a letter in Word than I am to use a sonar depthfinder while I'm out in the boonies.
    I do appreciate you taking the time to actually look at what I was talking about, and post up some potential shortcomings...I am fairly new at the whole GPS navigation game, and what I'm trying to do isn't what most people are looking for. I'm not looking for roads or trails, I'm looking for geographical features which may indicate a good place to prospect. So my location on a satellite image is all I need, but I need it with no cell or internet connection. I don't even need it to be that accurate, just close enough to find what I see in the images with my own eyes. Here's a link to the unit I'm negotiating price on right now...If you see any other potential problems, feel free to let me know, I do appreciate the knowledge and time you are contributing! https://www.ebay.com/itm/164916047498

anwat, Sep 15, 2021
  6. anwat

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As long as the item you are purchasing has some sort of working built-in GPS then I would say it will do what you want it to do, you don't need the kind of accuracy that a plug-in module would provide, GPS does not require cellphone or internet connection to give you a location, it just needs to 'see' the sky, one problem may be finding Windows software that will show you your position on a map, unlike Android and ios that expects to find an on-board GPS Windows as a rule doesn't so there is a lot less Windows software available that supports GPS, the windows software also needs to use downloaded maps so that you don't need access to the internet when navigating

Windows Navigation Software

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 15, 2021
Ask a Question