Do purchased Garmin maps come with lifetime updates?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Swecoder, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Swecoder

Swecoder

Hi,

I'm completely new here but I've been searching high and low for information regarding purchased Garmin maps. I'm currently debating between buying a TomTom with World maps (TomTom GO 510 World), or a Garmin with European maps preloaded, and then buying an extra set of maps for North America.

I like the Garmin GUI, but I want lifetime updates to the maps if I buy an extra set (they're included in the unit I'm considering, 2589LMT).

Also, what's the difference between buying "regular" Garmin maps and the nuMaps?

Swecoder, Nov 28, 2015
  2. Swecoder

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin units ending in LM or (LMT) do get Lifetime Map updates (or Lifetime Map updates plus Lifetime Traffic info updates). Numaps either come with a single 90 day free update or as a product actually called Numaps Lifetime, which get the same free updated a LM units
    BTW
    Garmin state that 'Lifetime' means "for the useful life of the device", I am not sure what that means in practical terms, but I am told that all units with this promise are currently still receiving free updates 3 times a year

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 28, 2015
  3. Swecoder

Swecoder

Thanks for your reply, however, my question was more "If I have Europe as pre-loaded on my unit which comes with free lifetime updates, and buy North America as a download, will my new maps also have free lifetime updates?". Unfortunately, I've now received word from Garmin that this is NOT the case. I will have to buy a separate package for the North American maps to get unlimited lifetime updates - or buy a new GPS in the US.

Swecoder, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Swecoder

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

O.K., I wouldn't have expected the 'deal' that comes with a stand alone map product to change depending on what unit the map is used on i.e. put it on an LM unit and get lifetime updates on the stand alone product. Something I would also be cautious of with the World Map offers is that they may not be down to street level, there is an article HERE (See New Map "Cuts"), that refers to Major Road Maps or Routing Maps rather than street level maps

I think there may be another problem with Garmin standalone maps, The website HERE, states "This product only can be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your device. For example, a device preloaded with North America maps cannot be updated with nüMaps Lifetime Europe, and vice versa" so NuMaps only update areas already preloaded in your Nuvi, City Navigator Maps will add a new Region to your Nuvi BUT don't appear to be available as 'Lifetime'.

The only way I can see to get what you want would be to purchase a Europe + North America + Lifetime Maps unit like this one (Link HERE) Note:- Select the 'Full Europe and North America Maps' option

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 30, 2015
Ask a Question