eTrex 20 Track Manager Question

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Paul F, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Paul F

Paul F

Hello
    I'm new to using this device or any other GPS device for that matter and I'm just wondering why under the Track Manager option, does it create a track even though the device is stationary?
    I have the device on the desk beside me as I'm typing this up and I can see the pointer icon moving around and creating a track even though the device itself isn't being moved.

I have done the Clear Current Track many times and yet it still is in the process of creating a track when I click on Current Track again.

This is what I do:
    1 On the main menu window, I click on Track Manager.
    2 Click on Current Track...I have no archived tracks.
    3 Click on View Map and that's where I see the pointer icon moving around with the track being generated behind it.
    The pointer is moving around in a random manner.

So, I then repeat steps 1 and 2 and instead of clicking on View Map in step 3, I instead scroll down and click on Clear Current Track and click Yes.
    Then when I repeat steps 1 through 3 again, it still shows a track being created.
    I even have the track log under the setup menu set to Do Not Record if that makes any difference.

How do you stop it from creating a track?

Paul F, Oct 5, 2015
  2. Paul F

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your eTrex20 is working as it should, the pointer icon is moving around due to small errors in where the GPS thinks it is, this is quite normal and will be a lot more noticeable when the unit is indoors due to the satellite reception being poor. You may have noticed a screen on your GPS that gives a accuracy figure in feet / metres e.g. accuracy = 28 Feet, this is saying that the position it gives you may be incorrect by up to 28 feet, so each measurement can appear to 'jump' from one location to another in 28 feet hops. There are a few ways to prevent this track plotting behaviour and it changes from model to model, some models have a 'Use with GPS Off' option so that you can examine screens without the unit trying to find a location, this will prevent a track being stored. Other options are Tracks >> Track log On / Off, this will also prevent a track log being generated. It is worth noting that each time the unit is turned off and back on a new 'current log' is started, so the track of you sitting inside your house will be in a separate log file to a 'trip' you make say the next day

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 6, 2015
Ask a Question