Garmin 650T - Chirps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Chris King, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Chris King

Chris King

Hi All,

Recently found my new(ish) Garmin 650T is shutting down when retrieving Chirp Beacons, it has the latest firmware/software (As far as I know!), but I have not see it do this until recently.
    1. Turn on Chirp Beacon in Settings.
    2. It scans for Chip and finds it.
    3. It downloads details. I get option to OK or View Details.
    4. I pick View Details, it displays information fine, then in under 1-2 seconds it just powers down.

I have an older 450T, which is fine on the same chirp, I have removed all the GPX files and replaced them with new downloaded copies. But not sure what or why it is doing this.
    Tried this with other NEW Chirp Beacons and the same thing occurs (i.e. I format/erase a new one set up info then retrieve it and it still crashes/powers down).

Annoyingly Garmins Site is down due to server outage, so I cant even check to see if there is a fix for it or has been.

I realise I could reset it back to Factory Default, but its only crashing on Chirp data retrieval, so would a factory reset it - fix it? or is there an HTML file in the device that could be corrupted? Is there a quick fix without resetting it? or things I can try?

Chris

Chris King, Jul 27, 2020
  2. Chris King

Chris King

Garmin are now back up and all phone lines and support is coming back on line.

After long discussions with their technical team who were outstanding with support and investigation, it was discovered the Chirp bug crashes has been a problem with the 650x series since its launch, but never been addressed.
    Some users have reported it happens occasionally, but it has been reported, since the 6xx unit is not their current model as the 7xx is, it is one of those fixes that was never fixed in subsequent updates and the last firmware update to the 650 was towards the end of 2019.
    The 6xx series was launched in 2013, the 7xx series in 2017, and currently there are no newer models in the pipeline for a 8xx series.
    Garmin offered me an upgrade to a refurbished model at about £100+, which involved me returning my unit, for a 750t model with 90 day warranty (As opposed to a 2 year warranty for a new model). It seems also the bug that was in the 650 series is not in the 750 series. Additionally with the current COVID issue, turn around times are around 10 days, and also the owner has to cover costs of sending the item to them and then waiting for the unit to go through 'Quarantine' - (instead of 3-5 days turn around its 6-10 days)

My incident has been logged with them for the bug, and there is no work around, a factory reset will NOT fix it so I was advised.
    Somewhat annoyingly when I bought my unit new, I had not attempted to check my own chirp cache so never was aware of the issue then, so 5 years later - which is when I bought mine - i'm well out warranty and now stuck with a possible upgrade to a refurbished unit or new.
    I have chosen to get the 750 series (non-t) as I can use my Topgraphic Maps from the 650T on my 750, so in effect makes it a 750T.

I will still keep my 650T, as its NIB (in effect!) - with very few uses in its 5 year life!

Chris King, Jul 28, 2020
Ask a Question