Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT-D not accepting Europe maps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by XTman, Apr 11, 2023.

1. XTman

XTman

I have a drive Smart 61 LMT-D which so far has been easy to update and use. But yesterday I tried to update it using Wifi and it told me there was insufficient space and to use Garmin Express. So I installed the latest version of Garmin Express which informed me that the Garmin software required an update, which went on smoothly. It is now version 6.70. But when looking to update City Navigator Europe 2023 it again told me that there was insufficient space, and all I could install were maps of UK and Ireland, or other sub divisions of Europe.

The Garmins own memory is nearly full, but the 32gb Sandisk micro SD was totally empty. Even when I opted for City Navigator UK/Ireland nothing was installed on the micro SD card. Prior to updating I had formatted the SD using the Garmin own menu. It is as if the Garmin Express, or satnav are not recognising the SD card, yet on my MAC when connected the computer sees the Garmin and SD card as it has done for previously.

Any ideas of what the problem might be.

XTman, Apr 11, 2023
  2. XTman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Express somtimes does not manage internal memory and microSD memory very well, I find that the best option is to select install to 'computer only' in Express and then use the map install feature that is built into Garmin Bascamp, Bascamp can be downloaded snd installed free of charge (see link HERE), The install maps option is far better than express at handling maps

I would install Garmin Bascamp first, then run Garmin Express >> Updates Available >> View Details >> Installation Optons >> Computer only

comp-only.jpg

After download you will be able to see the new map in Garmin Basecamp, you can then select Maps >> Install Maps, from here you can examine the contents of internal memory and microSD memory, delete any existing Maps, see how much space is needed and how much is currently free etc. and have the ability to send maps to internal or microSD memory

map-ins.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 11, 2023
  3. XTman

XTman

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I will give it a try.

XTman, Apr 11, 2023
Ask a Question