Garmin Express won't install bought map update! Please help!

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Harry Herber, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Harry Herber

Harry Herber

Hi, I'm new to this so excuse anything ignorant I do! I bought a map update for an old Nuvi 20 and have tried for 2 days to download it onto the GPS with no luck. There's an SD card it sees so that's not the problem. It starts fine, but within a few minutes the download drops to 0! And a few minutes later it tells me the install failed. The problem is not my ADSL LINE as other downloads and updates work fine.
    So my question is can I download and get the GPS maps updated through another method? Or is there a trick to solving the constant failures. I swear I've tried 40 times! Even reinstalled Garmin Express, but that too didn't help.

I'd really appreciate the help of any expert out there! I'm tearing my hair out....

Harry Herber, Feb 11, 2016
  2. Harry Herber

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I can't find any info. for a Garmin Nuvi 20, what is the exact model number?
    When you purchased the map update did it say the map was compatible with your model of Garmin GPS?
    You may be able to download the map to your computer and view it in Garmin Basecamp, If so you can send it to your Garmin GPS from the Bascamp program. The problem may be that new map won't fit onto to Garmin while the old map is in place, if so Basecamp can get around this.

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 11, 2016
  3. Harry Herber

Harry Herber

Well, I eventually sorted it. I bypassed the Garmin Express, downloaded the old Garminmapupdate.exe programmer, and it worked like a charm. Says a lot for old vs new improved technology!

Harry Herber, Feb 11, 2016
Ask a Question