Garmin GPS Drivesmart 51 and 61, slow in route calculation...

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by swyc2011, Sep 7, 2022.

1. swyc2011

swyc2011

After the latest map update, 2023.20, i think, the gps route calculation seems much slower. I've turned off myTrends and traffic and still very slow. One thing I've noticed is... if I am near my mother's house in queens, NYC, routing is really fast(within in 2-3 seconds) to a friend's house in Connecticut. However, here in Bergen County, New Jersey, same location takes a while to calculate the route. I've re-installed the map 2-3 times and reset to factory setting a couple of times and it does not seem to help. Any idea why.. where you are located makes a big difference in routing calculation speed? This is true for both Drivesmart 51 and 61. GPS has a full signal with 10 ft accuracy from a bunch of satellites so we know it's not a weak signal causing this.

swyc2011, Sep 7, 2022
  2. swyc2011

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think it is just down to how many different ways you can get from A to B, if you have a single road through the desert there is no decision to be made, you take 'the' road, but if you have a very complicated grid / mesh of roads a lot more decisions need to be made

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 7, 2022
  3. swyc2011

swyc2011

Thanks for your reply. What i also notice is that... store that's about 5-10 minute driving from my house, it still takes a while to route to that store. But in queens NYC, friend's house 60 miles away in Connecticut takes 3 seconds to route. Here in Bergen county NJ, it takes a lot longer to route to a store 5-10 minutes of driving. In both locations, we get a full signal from satellites and we know signal strength is not the problem. Recent map update did something or recent software update. It's stuck at calculation at 0% for a while... really not sure what's causing this.

swyc2011, Sep 7, 2022
  4. swyc2011

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I wonder if there is a join from one part of the US maps to another, although I think it is very unlikely they would place the New York area on a map 'join'

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 7, 2022
Ask a Question