Garmin Newbie - Trying to Create Route

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by kxbronco, May 26, 2019.

1. kxbronco

kxbronco

As the subject says, I'm a newbie at creating routes. My first experience in doing this was semi- successful. Here's what I am trying to do and what I have done.

My goal is to create routes and download them to my Garmin RV760LMT. I'm looking for the simplest, least complicated process (step by step) that I can find and definitely want it to be repeatable. I want to be able to eliminate as many variables as possible and configure both Basecamp, RV760, and/or Google Maps to minimize incompatibility issues.

So far I've created 2 routes. The first was mostly successful and the second was not. The first route was created in Google Maps, converted to a .gpx using GPSVISUALIZER.com, loaded into Basecamp, converted to a route, and downloaded into my RV760LMT. When used on the RV760, the turn-by-turn directions worked pretty good. Where it got a little off I was able to figure out and correct. My second attempt was while sitting in a campground with no internet service. I connected my RV760 to my laptop, created my route (I believe using the map on the RV760), and downloaded to my RV760. Everything looked good on the RV760. I could see the turn-by-turn directions when I looked at the details of the map. So, when I left the campground I selected my route in trip planner, selected the destination, and pressed GO. The RV760 recalculated the route and was taking me about 50 miles further and was not at all following the route I created. When I stopped the route and went back in I could look at the turn-by-turn directions for my route and they were what I wanted, but as soon as I hit GO it recalculated my route.

I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong. I assumed that Basecamp was using the map on the RV760 and that this would prevent different maps being involved. Can someone point me in the right direction? Maybe some tutorials or anything that would help. I am planning an approx. 6k mile trip out west and need to be able to rely on my RV760 and the routes I create as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

kxbronco, May 26, 2019
  2. kxbronco

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Here are some notes on creating and using routes that you may find useful :-

1) When generating a Route in Basecamp, you MUST use exactly the same map on both Basecamp and your satnav, if part of a Route used in Basecamp is not available on the satnav map a different Route will be generated

2) A Route from A to B generated in Basecamp and downloaded to a satnav works as expected when travelling from A to B, however for some reason I can't explain if the user is at B and selects this same generated Route with a destination of A, the unit re-calculates using an unexpected path, the only way around this is to generate two Routes, e.g. an A to B and a B to A

More Route notes (Click HERE)

Nuvi-Nebie, May 26, 2019
  3. kxbronco

kxbronco

Thanks for response Nuvi-Nebie. On note one, I assumed by having my RV760 connected to my laptop that Basecamp was using the map on the RV760. Does Basecamp have a map in it (I would think so)? If it does, how do I tell Basecamp to use the map on the RV760? Seems to me if I always use the map on the RV760 I will eliminate the differences between maps.

On note 2, this is exactly what I was doing. I was basically trying to reverse my first route and figured out that I couldn't do that any other way except for creating basically a reverse route.

kxbronco, May 26, 2019
  4. kxbronco

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Basecamp should copy any map it sees on an attached GPS, but it will add it to any others that have been added from other sources, from new I think Basecamp has the Global Map installed, you can check by looking under the MAPS icon and selecting the one on your RV760
    :-
    map.jpg

On note 2, you may notice that if you are at position B and you select the A to B Route with a destination of A, you will actually get a complete trip of B to A to B and I think this confuses the Auto-Routing

Nuvi-Nebie, May 26, 2019
Ask a Question