Garmin software

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Harfitt181, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Harfitt181

Harfitt181

Hi there, I recently bought a side x side that came with a Garmin Montana 650T but can't get the GPS to stay on. Is there a way I can delete everything off of it and download new software?

Harfitt181, Jan 12, 2020
  2. Harfitt181

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Could you supply more detail of the problem with the unit ? :-
    1. How long does the 650T stay on?
    2. What is the screen displaying when the 650T turns off?
    3. What do you have you have to do to get it back on after the 650T turns off?
    4. Does the 650T stay on when powered from a USB cable?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Harfitt181

Harfitt181

1- GPS will only stay on for a couple seconds

2- Screen will only display the ”can-am” symbol

3- press power button on again where it will just keep doing the same thing.

4- it won't power on hooked up to a USB only display the USB symbol on the screen.

When I hook it up to my computer I can access the file on it and I tried to do the update for it but can't finish the update due to not being able to turn it on.

Harfitt181, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Harfitt181

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

1. So how long does the 650T stay on when powered from USB socket on your computer? *
    2. If you leave the 650T on charge via a USB charger for a couple of hours, does it still turn off after a couple of seconds when powered from the 650T's internal battery, or does it stay on for longer?
    *I'm guessing it stays on longer than a couple of seconds or you would not have time to see the files on your computer

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 12, 2020
  5. Harfitt181

Harfitt181

1- It will still only stay on for a couple seconds when it's connected to a USB

2- Yes it will still only stay on for a couple seconds after charging overnight with both the internal battery and I also tried it with 3 new AA batteries.

Harfitt181, Jan 12, 2020
  6. Harfitt181

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I had mistaken your 650T for a satnav type unit where the main batteries are not removable, (hence the charging request above), however units do have another backup battery that is used to retain data when the main batteries are removed or are discharged, if this backup battery is fauly it somtimes prevents the unit from functioning correctly even when the main batteries are new or the unit is also fed from a USB cable, replacing this backup battery sometimes fixes these power problems.

I would try a Full Reset on your 650T to see if this stops the power off problem :-
    1. Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (can be done in portrait or landscape mode)
    2. Power on device.
    3. Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? ...
    4. Release finger from upper left side of display.
    5. Touch Erase.

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 13, 2020
Ask a Question