Garmin TOPO maps not working

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Deathacus, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Deathacus

Deathacus

Hey there! Thanks for having me on the forum! Got's me a bit of an issue. I've got an eTrex 20. Copied some Topo 2008 maps from a CD to her SD, worked fine at first but now I get no topo lines showing up. It still shows them as being enabled, and if I plug the USB into my pc, file explorer shows the file where it's supposed to be, yet nothing shows up in Basecamp. My dad has the same map, albeit a larger area on his eTrex 20x, I tried to copy those but my SD card isn't big enough for his. What's going on? I don't wanna have to buy new maps when I should be able to use the ones I got.

Just found out about it's built in self-test mode and "PMap Chk" Shows "Fail".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    Deathacus, Dec 10, 2022
  2. Deathacus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would disable all the maps on your Etrex 20 and then enable the Topo maps and then the contour lines (if they are enabled separately) , having multiple maps enabled can have the effect of some map layers hiding other map layers, I am not familiar with Pmap Chk is this fearure supplied with the Etrex 20 or the installed maps ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 10, 2022
  3. Deathacus

Deathacus

Tried every combo of basemap, topo, and digital globe. It looks like the topo maps do give some stuff, names of cities and water and stuff but no contour lines. Nothing.

"PMap Chk" if part of the units built in self test. Hold menu while powering on.

Deathacus, Dec 11, 2022
  4. Deathacus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 11, 2022
  5. Deathacus

Deathacus

I have both BMap and PMap. BMap shows 0x476EBB00, Pmap shows Fail

Deathacus, Dec 12, 2022
  6. Deathacus

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm guessing that Bmap is Basemap and Pmap are other maps, the 0x476EBB00 is a checksum I think, a way of checking that the map is OK, as the failing Topo maps are on microSD I would run the self test with and without the microSD fitted as this will show where the Pmap error is comming from, if you don't get the Pmap = fail with the microSD removed I would say either the Topo map is corrupted or the microSD is faulty, you could try a different microSD to hold the map

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 12, 2022
Ask a Question