GPS and Google Maps

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by MYT1, Nov 1, 2017.

1. MYT1

MYT1

Is there such a thing as a GPS unit that uses Google Maps as its software?

More and more I find myself turning off my GPS unit and just using Google Maps on my phone.

I find Google Maps to be much more intuitive to use and it has more up to date road maps, even dirt roads.

My only concern using Google Maps is I go to some pretty remote areas at times and I don't always have cell service.

My GPS is a ten year old Garmin Zumo 550 that supposedly has the latest map updates, but I'm not so sure; routinely I travel on roads that show up on Google Maps but not on my Zumo.

Thanks so much.

MYT1, Nov 1, 2017
  2. MYT1

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't know of a stand alone GPS unit that uses Google maps, but as you say you can use the GPS in your smartphone to display your location on Google maps, it is possible to download sections of Google maps for use off line, so that you don't need a cell phone signal. Use the 'three lines' icon (top left) and then select Offline Areas

If you want up to date maps for your Zumo, take a look at this Open Street Maps website link, it is possible to download maps that will load onto Garmin units free of charge, so it's worth a try

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 1, 2017
    MYT1 likes this.
Ask a Question