How to change Device Name for eTrex Vista C

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by RangerJoe, Aug 31, 2019.

1. RangerJoe

RangerJoe

Howdy all - new guy here!

I purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista C in 2004, loaded a local Topo Map, and used it for camping, horseback riding, and hunting in southeastern AZ. I've not used it much the past few years; today I loaded the most recent version of BaseCamp and noticed my device name has my old telephone number in it.... from 2004. I don't recall setting the Device Name - but it has my full name and tel #. I've spent hours today trying to figure out how to change the device name... both in BaseCamp, WebUpdater, and on the eTrex Vista itself. I've searched the user manual online to no avail.

How do I change my Device Name???

Thanks,
    R.J.

RangerJoe, Aug 31, 2019
  2. RangerJoe

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Does the 'Device Name' appear on the eTrex Vista screen?, I'm guessing it doesn't.

Is the Device Name displayed in Basecamp like the GPSMap60CX does in this picture?

gpsmap.jpg

If it does, then your Name and old telephone number are being used as USB descriptors for some reason

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2019
  3. RangerJoe

RangerJoe

Correct on both accounts - the device name does not appear on the eTrex Vista itself, only on the Basecamp and WebUpdater software, much like your screen shot. I'll upload a screen shot later...

RangerJoe, Sep 1, 2019
  4. RangerJoe

RangerJoe

Capture.PNG

RangerJoe, Sep 1, 2019
  5. RangerJoe

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When any USB device is plugged into a computer, it sends a lot of information to the computer including what it is, you can run a program like USB Device Tree Viewer to list this information to see if your name and phone number is sent, however, I looked through the data to find GPSMap60CX and could not find it, so my guess is that there is a look-up table somewhere, (possibly in Basecamp itself), that takes some unique numbers from the USB descriptors and translates it into the text displayed in the Basecamp 'Devices' Information

EDIT
    I have found another program to display information about USB devices connected to your computer, this one (USBDeview Click HERE) shows a list of all USB devices that were connected in the past as well as current ones, so there must be a USB look-up table somwhere

With USBDeview it is also possible to remove a history of past devices so if your Name and Phone number is on the list you may be able to remove it, however it looks like your Name and Phone number are stored on the computer somewhere and probably not sent from the Garmin

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 2, 2019
  6. RangerJoe

RangerJoe

Interesting - and Thank You! I can only guess this was a feature in BaseCamp circa 2004 allowing users to customize their "device names". Even though I'm using a new computer, new OS (Windows 10), and new version of BaseCamp - somehow the eTrex remembers what it was named 15 years ago! Heck, I'm lucky if I remember what I did 15 days ago...

Thanks again - and I'm still open to new suggestions / ideas.

RangerJoe, Sep 2, 2019
Ask a Question