How to change language of voice directions?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by WhereamI?, Jun 11, 2022.

1. WhereamI?

WhereamI?

If I am, say, in France I would like the voice prompts to utter the names of roads and towns in French. My Garmin (bought in UK) has "keyboard language" on the menu and I've changed this from "English" to "French". My unit (in Mercedes GLA) offers 4 different English voices but no French voices. The result is that the voice prompts are incomprehensible: the English voices "have a go" at pronouncing the French words but I cannot understand what is being said. How can I change the voice directions from English to French. Thanks in advance for help. (WhereamI?)

WhereamI?, Jun 11, 2022
  2. WhereamI?

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't specify the model of your Garmin SatNav, but the Voice would typically be changed with :-
    Settings >> Language & Keyboard >> Voice Language, my Nuvi 56 LM has 2 French Voice options, they are stored in VPM files on the unit eg :- Garmin Nuvi >> Voice >> Francais_European_Agathe.vpm or Francais_European_Virginie.vpm, if your Satnav does not have these options you can download more voices for your Satnav using this Garmin Express program

I don't know which manufacturer makes the Satnav in your Mercedes GLA, but if it is made by Garmin it may have similar file system / options as the stand alone Garmin Satnav

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 11, 2022
  3. WhereamI?

WhereamI?

Thanks for very much your reply ... I'll get the book of words from the car and check the model number.
    Sorry to be dim but I'm unclear about how to download more voices if required.

Set into the dash of my Mercedes there is a socket with a card inserted ... I've never removed it but I understand that it holds all the SatNav date. It looks like the card that fits into my digital camera. When I want to upload pictures from my digital camera to my Mac Book Pro, I remove from the camera what looks like a similar card and slide it into the Anker adaptor that is fitted into the two sockets at the left side of my Mac. Perhaps I will be able to download new voices to the Mercedes card in this way (?) I was recently in touch with my Mercedes dealer about this problem ... they didn't seem to have a ready answer but promised to look into it. Again, many thanks. I presume there will be no Mac/PC issue with downloading more voices and that the procedure will work with either operating system.

WhereamI?, Jun 11, 2022
  4. WhereamI?

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

To get any available Voices for your Garmin Satnav, install Garmin Express onto your computer using the link in post #2, run the program and then connect your Garmin Satnav to one of the computer's USB sockets, the Express program should automatically 'find' the Satnav and display any new maps / Voices that you are allowed to download, select the files you want to download to your Satnav

You could examine the SD / microSD from your Mercedes to see if it contains VPM files in the location listed in post #2

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 11, 2022
  5. WhereamI?

WhereamI?

OK and many thanks for your guidance.
    One thing though ... the SatNav in question is installed in the car.
    Anyway, I've got some time and will experiment as you have kindly suggested.
    Renewed thanks and best regards ...
    W

WhereamI?, Jun 12, 2022
Ask a Question