how to id my gps

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by corvairbob, May 7, 2012.

1. corvairbob

corvairbob

i got this gps from ebay a few years ago and it has igo amigo on it. how do i id this unit to see if i can make changes to it? and is it possible to take a gps unit and put different software on it to make it run like say a garmin? what i want to do is update the map/s and add route 66 maps to this unit for an upcoming road trip. thanks for the help. bp.

corvairbob, May 7, 2012
  2. corvairbob

Phantom

Probably not. Most things on Ebay are copy cat items or replicas. The GPS you bought I've never heard about and I've been in the GPS market for a while. I would highly suggest instead of wasting time trying to get it to run like a garmin, that you go out and buy an actual Garmin International portable GPS.

Phantom, May 8, 2012
  3. corvairbob

corvairbob

yes your probably correct but for 50.00 just for the road maps it beats the hell out of a 250.00 garmin. and it does what i need. but like you say if i need to put different maps into it most likely i can't. and the sellers have no idea how to do it either. thanks.

i have been looking at the garmin but they make a bunch of different units and i just don't have a clue. the link you sent show 3 different ones just on the first page. seems the nuvi is the most expensive so maybe that one is the best?

corvairbob, May 9, 2012
  4. corvairbob

Phantom

Depends on what you want to do honestly.
    If you're a delivery driver there are GPS units that allow multiple stops per rout.
    If you just like to cruise around there are cheaper options that work just as well.

So, which are you :p.

Phantom, May 9, 2012
  5. corvairbob

corvairbob

just need one that gives me road information and points of interest along the route. i have one that is the nav n go and that does a good job for what i need but i don't know where to get updated maps. and i would like to impute the route 66 information into one for a road trip next year and i have no idea how to put those maps into the ig amigo nav n go unit i have now. thanks

corvairbob, May 10, 2012
  6. corvairbob

Phantom

Here you go.

Garmin NUVI50LM, it does lane assist, free map updates for life and has an option for custom POI's that you can set filters for. Probably one of the most feature packed portable GPS units for its size.

I've bought a TV and radar detector from 12volt-travel, they're nice people and will get you squared away.

Phantom, May 10, 2012
Ask a Question