I need a new handheld GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by gnappi, Jun 16, 2018.

1. gnappi

gnappi

Hi, first post here and I hope I'm in the right sub-forum.

My old GPS bit the dust (which I used on my tin boat) and I need another handheld model to replace it with.

What I do not need...

It will be used 90+% of the time in fresh waterways which are mostly unmapped, so waterway maps are not needed or expected to be available and I have little to no use in an on road vehicle so U.S. road maps with PC connectivity is not any sort of priority. I may sometimes use it a bit on hiking trails but for position only. Topo maps might be nice but are not at all necessary. I have a depth finder so it does not need that function for my boat (I have that covered) so my needs are what I think are simple.

What I need...

It has to be able to be handheld (Not a wired in car/truck model powered by a USB cable) with and without rechargeable batteries installed, AND charge the cells while connected to USB. On the FOS I mostly need a dashboard with heading, and speed, location (lat / lon) etc.

Color would definitely be a plus as in sunlight B/W contrast is harder to see than color.

My powered usage paradigm? A cell phone, cordless razor or cordless phone :)

I did not think these are extraordinarily difficult specs to meet but I've looked all over and so far either the technical writers of the GPS companies stink and have no idea how to write specifications or the hand held models cannot run on power supplied by USB whilst charging batteries.

There are likely plenty of vehicle GPS that run on DC from USB but they are too large, and cannot run on batteries. If there were a smaller mobile model made I could consider it.

PS. using a phone is not an option, as they are not nearly bright enough for bright Florida sunlight use. I used BOLD text as some folks try to be helpful and go off topic... sorry no insult meant.

Anyone?

gnappi, Jun 16, 2018
  2. gnappi

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would look at the Garmin gpsmap 64 or the Garmin Oregon both wateproof (although nether float), these unit have internal batteries and with a dedicated battery pack can not only be powered but also charged via USB, If you require a unit that floats look at the Garmin 78 or 73

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 17, 2018
  3. gnappi

gnappi

Thanks, I looked into the gpsmap64 and it only takes pre-charged NiMh cells and will not charge from the USB port.

But, while poring over the Garmin site I found that the Oregon 600t or 650t not only support USB charging to their proprietary NiMh cell, the T model(s) come standard with topo maps, worldwide base map and the 650 has an 8Mp camera onboard! There's also a flat surface (screw in) base mount for the Oregon. So I'm now researching prices on them.

Thanks again,

Gary

gnappi, Jun 20, 2018
  4. gnappi

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The gpsmap64 will charge the same 'Garmin' NiMH battery pack as the Oregon via USB, here is a page from the user manual :-

2018-06-20_06.59.11.jpg
    2018-06-20_06.38.57.jpg

It is also possible to charge non 'Garmin' NiMH batteries in the gpsmap64 ( See Warning above), BUT this does require that a switch normally operated by the dedicated battery pack is operated by some mechanism

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 20, 2018
  5. gnappi

gnappi

THX, I wonder why that feature is not touted anywhere. What's up with the after market NiMh switch? I do not see any switch on any of the battery packs, OEM or after market? Is it the same cell as the Oregon?

Oh, the USB port looks like a standard USB type used in my Nikon camera, is it unique?

Thanks again,

Gary

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    gnappi, Jun 20, 2018
  6. gnappi

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The 'switch' isn't on the battery pack it is inside the battery compartment of the gpsmap64 and Oregon, there is a piece of plastic between the 2 cells on the 'Garmin' NiMH battery pack which presses against the push switch and tells the unit to allow charging. Users have got around this by placing something between two non Garmin NiMH AA cells that activates this 'charge switch'

There is more info. on the Garmin NiMH battery pack here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-nimh-battery-pack.46775

It is the same 'Garmin' Battery pack for both gpsmap64 and Oregon

Garmin units can be powered / charged using mini USB cables from other products such as the Nikon

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 20, 2018
  7. gnappi

gnappi

Thanks again, your info is much appreciated.

gnappi, Jun 20, 2018
  8. gnappi

Danny_G

I think that the latest model is the Garmin GPSMAP78 which also include a UK chart as standard for free.

Danny_G, Jul 13, 2018
  9. gnappi

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

They haven't updated the user manual of the gpsmap78 since June 2013, compared with for example, the gpsmap64 user guide of October 2016

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 13, 2018
Ask a Question