Is there a special cable to run my Garmin without the mount?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Moondoggy, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy

is there a special cord that you can use to power my Garmin Nuvi without having to plug the unit into the power connector mount?

My Garmin Nuvi 3590 came with a accessory power cable that plugs into a powered mount that the Garmin snaps into. Since I've owned the Garmin I have had this powered mount attached to a Garmin suction cup mount that I stuck to a smooth location om my center console. This worked great for me as I didn't want to mount the suction cup on the windows and obscure my windshield and the Garmin was still easy to view. Last week, however, I traded cars and the surface of the new car's console textured and the suction cup will no longer work.

My new car has two USB ports in the console that I can plug a micro USB cable that will fit into the micro USB connector of the Garmin. My hope was that I could lay the Garmin on a non-slip rubber mat and thereby eliminate the power connector/suction cup mount and use the Garmin by itself with the micro USB cable plugged in. However, when I plugged the USB cable into the Garmin the Garmin immediately turned itself off as if it were plugged into the USB port on my PC instead of the USB port in my console. I then un-plugged the power cord from my mount and tried to plug the cable directly into the Garmin but that doesn't work because the connectors do not match. So my questions are.......

Is there cable that I can use to power the Garmin up on long trips that will either fit into the micro USB port or the bottom connector on the Garmin that will allow the Garmin to work without the power connector mount the Garmin currently snaps into? If so, can someone share with me what kind of cable this is and where I can buy one? If there is no other cable is there any other way to power the Garmin without the mount or do I just have to run the Garmin on it's own batteries?

Any help will be appreciated.

Moondoggy, Mar 4, 2017
  2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Sorry for the post as I think I have this figured out. It looks like when I plugged the cable in the USB port of the car, the cars computer attempted to communicate with the Garmin and when it did the Garmin turned the navigation off as if it were plugged into a regular PC. I had a car charger for my cell phone that had a comparable micro USB connector on it and when I used it instead, the Garmin remained in navigation mode.so I think I'm good to go.

Moondoggy, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Moondoggy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, the problem is that the USB connector has two wires for power and two wires for data transfer, If the garmin detects that the data transfer wires are active it goes into data transfer mode, you could use the car's USB (power + data) connector, if you got hold of a USB cable that only has the two power wires and NOT the two data wires, such cables are supplied with USB power packs these cables are sometimes labled 'Power only'

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 5, 2017
Ask a Question