Looking for a GPS to use on a my Snowmobile.

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Joey G, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Joey G

Joey G

Hi, I am looking for a cheap and easy set up for my snowmobile, I would like something in the 4.3 Size. Most of the people I know and the posts I have read they are using regular GPS units and they are sealing them up for water purpose.
    Some of the Models I am looking at are
    Nuvi
    265w
    40LM
    2495LMT
    3490LM
    200 or 205
    I would like to be able to add 3rd party trail maps and any mount info would be great also.
    I am not looking to spend a lot yet I want to see if this is something I will even use and how itll work. Thank you for your time.

Joey G, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Joey G

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are pros and cons on the two main types of GPS available, e.g. the 'satnav' like Nuvi's etc. and the hand held GPS, the satnavs usually have better (bigger) screens for viewing at arm's length, while the handheld is waterproof and more rugged, one option is to go for a satnav type display designed for a motorcycle like the Garmin Zumo range, these 'outdoor' satnavs are probably best suited for a snowmobile and garmin units can be loaded with a large variety of third party maps, tracks etc.

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Joey G

Joey G

I am sure the Zumo series is nice but even used the are in the $300 range, I have read a lot of guys are doing just fine with the older used Ebay options and getting it all done for under $100. This is a trial for me right now to see if I even will use it or need it. If I end up liking I will go for a really nice one as I don't mind spending the money as long as its not a waste.

Are any of the options I listed decent? I like thje fact that two of them can be used in different screen orientations.

Joey G, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Joey G

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When it comes down to it a Zumo is a waterproof Nuvi, any of the above in a plastic bag would do the job

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 21, 2018
  5. Joey G

Joey G

Any recommendations you guys have would be great. I may just go with a 200 Series if not.

Joey G, Dec 21, 2018
  6. Joey G

Joey G

I ended up picking up a used Nuvi 205W. Now I need to mount it and find out which trail maps to use. and how to set it up.

Joey G, Dec 22, 2018
  7. Joey G

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

For tranferring maps Routes, Tracks etc. have a look at Garmin Basecamp, it's free to download, for free maps that Basecamp will install on your 205W, see this link (Click HERE)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 22, 2018
  8. Joey G

Joey G

Can you tell me what basecamp does a bit, I have heard a lot of people talk about it. Do I install base camp along with the trail maps I choose from another company?

Joey G, Dec 22, 2018
  9. Joey G

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Basecamp
    is written by Garmin and is used to link your Garmin product with your computer, when a device is plugged into a computer running Bascamp, all maps on the device can be 'seen' and used by Basecamp, you can create a new Route, Track Waypoint etc. and then download them to your device. It Will also import any new maps Tracks etc. that are contained in *.gpx files and transfer them to your device

Click on the links above for more details

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 22, 2018
  10. Joey G

Joey G

Okay so Basecamp doesn't get installed on the GPS, it goes on your computer to create your own map/path. As you can tell I am completely new to this so all of this info is helpful. On the 205 can I mark where I am and will it allow me to retrace my steps ? Marked trail? Off trail ?

Joey G, Dec 22, 2018
  11. Joey G

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You can save your present location with 'Tools' >> 'Where Am I' >> 'Save Location', it's on page 21 of the user manual

'Tools' >> 'Settings' >> 'Map' >> 'Trip Log', (Page 36), will display previously logged tracks

There is also a 'Tools' >> 'Settings' >> 'Navigation' >> 'Route Preference' >> 'Off Road' (Page 11) option, without this set to OK. the Nuvi will try to keep you on a road

Here us a link to the 205w user manual :-
    http://static.garmin.com/pumac/2675_OwnersManual.pdf

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 23, 2018
  12. Joey G

Joey G

Thank you

Joey G, Dec 23, 2018
  13. Joey G

Joey G

So the 205W I plan to power off the Cigarette aux port on my two stroke snowmobile using a USB adapter, Any issue with that? I picked up a few different mounts to see what set up I like better. Any tips on setting the unit up? Do I need to or should I update the factory Maps along with adding a Trail map? The maps are quite all that are installed in the nuvi. Thanks

Joey G, Dec 25, 2018
  14. Joey G

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As long as the aux port outputs 12 Volts DC and you use a 12V DC to 5V DC usb adapter it should be OK.. I'm guessing the 205W doesn't come with free map updates, so you would need to decide whether the existing maps have anything missing that you require, as you will be using the unit 'off road', it's unlikely newer maps will add anything you will need

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 26, 2018
Ask a Question