Maps I can create gpx from

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by mgh24, Sep 13, 2019.

1. mgh24

mgh24

Maybe this should go in general category.

I would like to find a map showing 4 wheel drive (not atv) trails in my area, and one I could generate gpx files from to transfer to my handheld device.

Are there such maps available? I have searched and searched and come up with nothing.

I just got a Garmin 64st, and while their Garmin connect is not at all easy to access, I’ve been able to create some routes, but it is impossible to distinguish between roads and trails, so I am a bit lost.

I’m in Northern Utah.

Any guidance or advice is appreciated.

mgh24, Sep 13, 2019
  2. mgh24

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Any map that can be loaded into Garmin Basecamp can be used to generate a Route or Track, take a look at the Open Street Maps to see if they have the off road features you are looking for.

It is also worth noting that Garmin use the words 'Route', 'Track', 'Trail' etc. for specific purposes, (click on the links for their definitions)

A gpx file is a container that can hold any or all of the following: - Routes, Tracks and Waypoints

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 13, 2019
  3. mgh24

mgh24

Good to know.

Apparently Garmin has changed from Basecamp to what they call Garmin Connect, but I would think it would have the same capabilities as Basecamp.

One of the drawbacks of the 64 is that it is apparently designed more for hiking/biking, you can't choose "road", or "driving" as an activity.

I had read instructions on how to load maps on to the device, I did not know I could also use them on my PC to create my routes.

Thank you!

mgh24, Sep 13, 2019
  4. mgh24

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As far as I am aware Garmin Connect is a smartphone App., does not have the same features as Basecamp and is not a replacement for it.

If you have your GPSMap64 connected to your computer when running Garmin Basecamp, it will make a copy of any accessible maps on your 64 so that they can be used in Basecamp even when your 64 isn't connected, having the same maps on both your GPS and Basecamp is essential when creating Routes in Basecamp

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 13, 2019
    mgh24 likes this.
  5. mgh24

mgh24

Thank you!

From my experience today I know I need a better map on the 64st! I believe my old Garmin's map displayed trail numbers, this one does not.

I'll get started with basecamp.

mgh24, Sep 13, 2019
  6. mgh24

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You may be able to copy the maps from your old Garmin to Basecamp and then onto the 64, some maps are 'locked' to a certain GPS but it's worth a try, Basecamp has an 'install maps' option to carry out the transfer

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 14, 2019
  7. mgh24

mgh24

Oh yea, definitely worth a try!

I'll check it out today.

mgh24, Sep 14, 2019
  8. mgh24

mgh24

OK - making progress. Basecamp is working out well.

Unfortunately I was mistaken about my other map, it did not show tail names :(

How can I see waypoints I have marked? I can see the route I saved, but unable to see the waypoints I created along the way.

Thanks

mgh24, Sep 14, 2019
  9. mgh24

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I suspect that the Waypoints you can't see have not been downloaded to your 64, for example if you create 6 waypoints along a road, there are different routes that could be made :-

1) A Route only using W1 and W6, when downloaded to your GPS the GPX file will only contain 3 items, the W1-to-W6 Route, Waypoint W1 and Waypoint W6, it will not send the other 4 Waypoints

2) A Route using all 6 Waypoints 1 to 6, this GPX file will contain 7 items, the W1-to-W6 Route and the 6 Waypoints

You can include all 6 Waypoints in your Route in Basecamp like this :-

W1toW6.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 14, 2019
Ask a Question