Need Help Picking GPS Unit

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by 00XJCO, Jan 16, 2012.

1. 00XJCO

00XJCO

Hello Everone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I an outdoorsman looking for a good GPS unit. I currently use a Garmin Edge 500 GPS cycling computer to track a lot of my routes but for those of you familiar with that unit, I'm sure you understand it's shortcomings as far as navigating unknown areas. I also have a GPS capable smart phone on which I use MotionX GPS and I like that I can download maps for free from Google, Bing, or OpenCycleMaps and save them to my phone. The problem with that, however, is that it's GPS Signal receiving abilities are very poor, and I often find myself with a detailed map I loaded into the phone but no signal to tell me where I am. I would really like to find a unit that I can load my own maps into without having to purchase them, since places like opencyclemap.org have them for free online anyway. Good battery life, water proof, and durability are all necessities. I hope what I'm looking for isn't too vague, and I would really appreciate any advice!

00XJCO, Jan 16, 2012
  2. 00XJCO

Phantom

Turn the GPS feature on your phone on and deactivate verizons (or whoevers) position via cell tower feature.

Phantom, May 11, 2012
  3. 00XJCO

FERG kYLE

Neede GPS model

G'day. I am in need of a gps receiver with NMEA sentences PLUS $GPRMB sentence hopefully with RS232 output, and 5 or 12Vdc input to permit route planning info. Your suggestions gratefully received.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    FERG kYLE, May 19, 2012
  4. 00XJCO

FERG kYLE

Addendum

I should add this is receiver-only subject, i.e: no screen

FERG kYLE, May 19, 2012
  5. 00XJCO

FERG kYLE

I should add this is receiver-only subject, i.e: no screen is required

FERG kYLE, May 19, 2012
  6. 00XJCO

Leonidas Morales

you can buy a tk102 or a tk103

Leonidas Morales, Jun 28, 2012
  7. 00XJCO

rrogers25

Intellitrac has a very reliable system. they are a little more pricey, but they are reliable. go to gpsgate.com to investigate them.

The good thing about that site is that they are fully integrated with the free software that is provided.

rrogers25, Oct 7, 2012
Ask a Question