Need help with Zumo 550 and new computer

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Zolton, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Zolton

Zolton

I've had a Zumo 550 for since 2007 and I was creating routes on my old computer using Mapsource. I've recently bought a new computer and things are not working out well at all.
    I downloaded Basecamp and the resolution is terrible. If I struggle and am able to launch Mapsource, the resolution there is terrible as well. In the past I was able to create maps with Mapsource with the greatest of detail. I currently have City Navigator North America NT 2009. Basecamp tells me the maps are locked and that I need to unlock them via downloading Garmin Communicator Plugin. Even when I do that, City Nav still shows locked.
    I'm not much of a computer wizard and could use some help.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Zolton, Jun 21, 2019
  2. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This sounds like a general problem with the screen resolution setting of your new computer rather than a problem with Basecamp / Mapsource, this is controlled by a combination of both the computer operating system e.g. Windows 10, macOS etc and additional drivers software that are supplied by the manufactures of the graphics card on your new computer e.g. Intel Graphics drivers, if the extra drivers are not installed, your computer will use a very basic (low resolution) mode designed to work with any graphics card, this enables the user to have a temporary display in order to get the high-res drivers working.

It would help if you could supply the name of your new computer, operating system, graphics card etc.

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Zolton

zorba61

Normally right clicking on your desktop ( windows? Linux ) will allow you to alter the resolution.Try experimenting with the resolution and see which is best for Basecamp.If I use recommended settings in Windows for resolution it's rubbish, I have to manually set it.
    PS thats why I normally use Linux

zorba61, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Zolton

Zolton

I will give that a go, however all I can see are just basic main highways. By resolution, I am referring to details on the map. If I zoom in very closely, details do not emerge as they did in the past (like small side streets, rail lines, points of interest... zero) and I am not able to follow secondary streets that I know exist. Even if I click from one main highway to another in an area that I know are main roads (but not shown), it will not allow me to map a route along them. Instead it will take me back to the closest intersection of the shown highways and meet the waypoint I created. As an experiment I tried to create a short route around my home and cannot.
    I am at work at the moment and will try the screen resolution when I get home. I believe my computer is running windows 10.

Zolton, Jun 21, 2019
  5. Zolton

zorba61

Sounds like you haven't enabled level of detail in Basecamp?...have a look here

zorba61, Jun 21, 2019
  6. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't think your new computer has any detailed maps available to it, if City Navigator North America NT is available to Basecamp, ensure is this map is currently selected in the 'Maps' screen, not the 'Global Map'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 21, 2019
  7. Zolton

Zolton

I should mention that I have an old version of City Navigator. 2009 I believe. I did update the maps in the Zumo and Garmin told me that I didn't have enough hard drive space for all of North America so I just did the North East. The download took about an hour and a half.
    I'm trying to plan a week long trip through West Virginia and North Carolina.
    When I downloaded Basecamp, the tutorial froze and went black so I'm not sure what I'm doing there yet. At 61 years old I'm a bit of a computer idiot. I'm going to have my son help me out if necessary.

Zolton, Jun 21, 2019
  8. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have lifetime maps for the Zumo you will be able to connect it to your new commputer and during map download select between 'Send to satnav', 'Send to Computer', or both, you need to send it to the computer so that it can be selected in Basecamp >> Maps, I suspect that you currently have 'Global Map' selected which has very low detail

global.jpg City-Nav.jpg
    Global Map vs City Navigator
    (Click map for bigger image)

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 21, 2019
  9. Zolton

Zolton

Ah...very helpful. That's exactly what it's looking like. As I said, the tutorial froze so not sure what I'm doing yet.
    I acquired the 550 in 2007. I do seem to recall having to purchase a map update at one point. Perhaps 2014. I have three Garmin GPS's and use this one once a year at the most on bike trips. The last time used was in 2015 so it's been sitting in a box for the last 4 years.
    Having said that, it did accept a map update as mentioned above just the other evening during my struggles. There was no charge involved. It was sent to the 550 though. Took 1.5 hours. Shite Wifi?
    When looking into the device itself, it seems the onboard hard drive is almost full and my 4GB SD card is almost empty. Not too sure what that's all about. I do have about a dozen intricate routes stored at this point.

Zolton, Jun 21, 2019
  10. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you connect the same unit you had connected "the other evening" to your computer, and run Garmin Express, you should get a screen similar to this one, that will give you the option to install the same map onto your computer :-

map-install.jpg
    Click for bigger image

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 22, 2019
  11. Zolton

Zolton

I didn't see that one last night but will try again.
    I couldn't unlock my City Nav maps no matter what, so I downloaded the latest ones (2020, at a cost of course) and following the advice from you folks, things began to work. I was able to stumble through creating a short route on Basecamp around my home town and today I went out to try things and it seemed to work out they way it should.
    Now I have about 5 days to figure out Basecamp and map 7 days of routes for my up coming tour.
    Thanks for the help. I will likely be back for more advice.

Zolton, Jun 22, 2019
  12. Zolton

zorba61

zorba61, Jun 24, 2019
  13. Zolton

Zolton

I've watched three of the five videos so far and am making better maps with Basecamp than I ever could with Mapsource.
    The guy really does a good job at simplifying Basecamp.
    Thanks so much for your help guys. You've saved me a lot of grief.
    Cheers.

Zolton, Jun 25, 2019
  14. Zolton

Zolton

One thing I am noticing. When I am downloading a newly made route to my GPS, a screen on the Zumo pops up that states "Route is too long, guidance towards the end of the route will be updated as you get closer to your destination"
    This has never happened in the past. The route would be about 280km long (175 miles) . It doesn't happen with shorter ones.
    Any comments?

Zolton, Jun 26, 2019
  15. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't think it is the length of the Route (in miles) that is the problem, I think it is the number of Waypoints or Shaping points used, there is an option to strip out shaping points before sending the Route to the satnav, but there is always a danger of the satnav auto routing in an undesireable fashion

You can try it using :-

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 26, 2019
  16. Zolton

Zolton

I thought that might be an issue but the guy in the tutorial link recommends using as many shaping points as you can so the GPS doesn't autoroute like you mentioned. His example was small, but I figured that was for demonstration purposes. I can reduce them and see what happens next route map.
    Thanks.
    BTW...nothing followed your "You can try using:-"

Zolton, Jun 26, 2019
  17. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes sorry about that, it shoud have read :-

You can try it using :-

Basecamp >> Edit >> Options >> Device Transfer >> Strip Shaping Points from Routes on Transfer to Device

in that Screen there is also :- Always match Route to the Map on my Device when Transferring

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 26, 2019
  18. Zolton

Zolton

I'm not too sure what that's all about.
    Is that supposed to be a link? It didn't come through that way.

Zolton, Jun 26, 2019
  19. Zolton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No It's not a link it's a list of steps to take, e.g.
    Goto Basecamp
    Find the Edit icon (at the top of the screen)
    Then find the Options icon from that screen
    And so on . . .

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 26, 2019
    Zolton likes this.
  20. Zolton

Zolton

Ah...of course.
    Like I said, I'm pretty green when it comes to this.
    Thanks again Nuvi

Zolton, Jun 27, 2019
Ask a Question