New to GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by JeffreyG, Mar 8, 2012.

1. JeffreyG

JeffreyG

I have a question regarding gps units or modules and I was hoping someone here could help me.

How do signals not get crossed if there is multiple gps modules in the same area or is this even possible and when I say multiple I mean if I was to have 200 of the same modules in the same we'll say 5mile area would signals interfere with one another?

I would really appreciate any help thanks :)

JeffreyG, Mar 8, 2012
  2. JeffreyG

Phantom

Just like how cell phones do not get crossed. Differences in for lack of a better term "area codes" rout the signal to that gps, all others ignore it more or less.

Same with cell phones.

Phantom, Apr 12, 2012
  3. JeffreyG

mbavaro77

IMHO the association with cellular phones is not really appropriate... try having lots of cell phones in the same area trying to establish a phone call and you'll see what I mean.

A GPS receiver is by definition receiver only.
    GPS satellites (the transmitters) broadcast the signal at 20000+ Km from the Earth surface and serve more or less half globe, regardless of how many users there are.

Perhaps a more reasonable comparison is satellite TV?

Ciao,
    Mic

mbavaro77, Apr 12, 2012
Ask a Question