No maps, error installing maps on Garmin DriveSmart 61

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by GregL65, May 21, 2024.

1. GregL65

GregL65

I've had a Garmin DriveSmart for a few years. I tried to update the maps and there was a hiccup during the process. Ever since then, Garmin Express says the maps are up to date but the Garmin says no maps are installed. Sometimes on startup it says that the maps are corrupt.

I've tried a couple times telling Garmin Express to reinstall the maps. The result is the error, "There was an error installing the update".

In the Garmin's Setup/Reset menu, I've tried both "Reset Default Settings", and "Delete Data and Reset Settings" The latter says that it doesn't delete the maps.

The map update worked fine for this unit for a previous map. I've had no problems with three other Garmin units (different models).

Any suggestions?

GregL65, May 21, 2024
  2. GregL65

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would install Garmin Basecamp on a computer and then select the 'Computer Only' option in Garmin Express (see fig 3 in this link Click Here), once the new map in visible in Basecamp you can connect your Drivesmart to the computer and using Basecamp 'Map Install' check on all maps on the unit and delete any you don't want then send the new map to the Drivesmart from Basecamp, this will over write and existing corrupted map version

Nuvi-Nebie, May 21, 2024
  3. GregL65

GregL65

Thanks Nuvi-Nebie, I installed Basecamp with MapInstall and tried that--twice. Both times MapInstall goes through a long process to send the map, build indices, etc. But at the very end MapInstall says this:

Map not transferred to "Garmin DriveSmart 61"
    The data was not successfully sent.

(Emphasis mine.)

I think the problem might be that the Garmin is timing out and turning off during the process. FWIW Basecamp stops showing it when that happens.

Is there way I can make the Garmin stay on throughout the process? When I see that it has turned off, would it make sense to unplug it and plug it back in to try to get it to turn back on?

GregL65, May 22, 2024
  4. GregL65

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think the unit thinks the map transfer process has completed, I would plug the Drivesmart into your computer and examine the internal memory (and microSD if installed) looking for *.img files in /garmin or /map folders, if you find any img files I would copy them to your computer and then delete them from the Drivesmart, then repeat the Mapinstall process

Nuvi-Nebie, May 22, 2024
  5. GregL65

GregL65

Thanks, that fixed it. Woo-hoo!

GregL65, May 22, 2024
Ask a Question