Old in age New to GPS

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by watersteps, Feb 9, 2018.

1. watersteps

watersteps

I am trying to find some info on GPS's for Dummies, I know nothing about GPS's. I have a used GPSMAP 62s. Are there any books or on line instructions that I can use to learn how to use this GPS? I have ordered a 24k Pa. Topo Map card for this GPS. I cannot find any maps on this unit right now. I hunt and trap in the Potter County hills and I need to use the GPS to get around.
    Thanks

watersteps, Feb 9, 2018
  2. watersteps

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There actually is a book called GPS for Dummies, I even found a downloadable pdf of it, it appears to free to download, please check for yourself

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2018
    watersteps likes this.
  3. watersteps

watersteps

Thanks for the info, I guess I should have said how do you setup and use a Garmin Handheld 62s GPS. I did find a video that showed me more in 10 minutes then I have learned in two days of reading info from the 62s manual.

watersteps, Feb 10, 2018
  4. watersteps

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's difficult to explain how to setup and use a GPS because it is tool that can be used in many different ways, so without knowing what you want it to do, the best I can do is to list a few things you might want to do with it.

Even when loaded with maps there is a good chance there will be little or no detail when you get to some out of town area, however you can record where you have been as a Track so that you can always follow it back to a known location I.e. your car

You can mark Waypoints and then 'goto' them by selecting their name such as 'Car'

You can plan a Route before you set out and then follow it, this is best done on a computer running a program such as Garmin Basecamp

There are many other things that can be done with your GPS, if you have something in mind post it here

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 10, 2018
  5. watersteps

watersteps

Thank You, I am learning more as I go through the menu.

watersteps, Feb 10, 2018
  6. watersteps

watersteps

Thank for the info, I found a bunch of You Tube videos that tell a lot more then the manual.

watersteps, Feb 12, 2018
Ask a Question