Older units still viable?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by EWyatt, Apr 6, 2020.

1. EWyatt

EWyatt

I have a couple of Garmin auto GPS units, 5 to 7 years old, which work fair, I guess. Question: with the latest map updates for North America, are these units just as good as the new units with all the bells and whistles for navigating? Or are the newer units able to guide to destinations more efficiently somehow?

In other words, why get a new, expensive unit if the maps, guidance, etc is the same for the older and new devices? Just curious. Thanks.

(Note: my current unit is the NUVI 2555 LMT)

EWyatt, Apr 6, 2020
  2. EWyatt

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is not an easy question to answer because users who insist on having the very latest tech. will always find some new must-have feature as an excuse to buy a new unit and obviously they are encouraged to do so by the manufacturers.

I would say the best reason to get a new satnav is because the old unit can't get map updates, either because the maps won't fit in the available memory or because they are too expensive, however as you have said current maps are available, you are left to decide if you really need those other new features which may include: -

1) A more sensitive GPS receiver with more satellite constellations
    2) More connectivity via smartphone or bluetooth
    3) Possibly more driving info. e.g. lane guidance, traffic flow

For my money the answer is no, you won't see much of a benefit from buying a new unit to get you from A to B, the extra features are often add-ons to the basic satnav function that do little to enhance the main purpose of the satnav and you only really need the features mentioned above if you are looking for an excuse to buy a new unit anyway

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 7, 2020
  3. EWyatt

EWyatt

That's what I thought: if my older units can get the latest maps then they are as good as the newer, expensive units in terms of navigation accuracy. And that's what it's all about. Bells and whistles -- no big deal.
    Thanks.

EWyatt, Apr 7, 2020
Ask a Question