Replacement For StreetPilot 2720

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by JackCF, Aug 31, 2017.

1. JackCF

JackCF

I currently have a StreetPilot 2720 and it appears that I can't get map updates for this unit any more.
    So I'm considering getting a replacement for my 2720. What in the current product line would be the closest replacement with regards to features? Specifically I want the ability to upload way points and routs from the Base Camp program to the GPS unit and visa versa.

JackCF, Aug 31, 2017
  2. JackCF

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would look at the Nuvi or Drivesmart ranges, waypoints can be individually download as Favourites or in groups as POIs (Points Of |Interest), POIs can also be speed camera info. with voice alerts when approached. For Route downloading look for a 'Trip Planner' option, this allows multi-point routing and if you don't have this you can only get start and endpoint routing. It is quite common to get LM (Lifetime Map) updates or LTM ( Lifetime Map and Traffic) updates included for little extra cost. You will find a lot of advantages in a new Satnav, as they have added, lane assist, traffic info., much better sensitivity to satellites, Blutooth link to your cell phone, for traffic info and calls, support for reversing cameras etc.

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2017
  3. JackCF

JackCF

I did some research guided by your comments and I'm considering the Garmin Drive 51 LM. I don't care about Bluetooth/smart phone connectivity.

Information I can't find about this model are: (Garmin has not answered any of my emails about this)

1 - The number of way points it can store.
    2 - The number routs/trips it can store.
    2 - Can you transfer the way points and routs/trips to/from Garmin Base Camp or another program.

Any information anyone can provide addressing the above three questions will be appreciated..

JackCF, Sep 1, 2017
  4. JackCF

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin are not very good at supplying this kind of info., some Nuvi / Drive units have a 'Favourite' (Waypoint) limit of 1000, however I don't think there is a limit to POIs, I have loaded thousands, POI groups are affectively the same as Waypoints and are stored on the microSD card. Routes are also held in files on the microSD card, so their number is also likely to be very high.

Waypoint and Routes can be generated and uploaded / downloaded using Garmin Basecamp, it doesn't handle POIs, but there is another free Garmin program (POI Loader) that will handle many thousands of waypoints and send them to your unit as POI groups

The POI loader program will allow 32 folders each containing 255 POI files (note :- don't exceed. 255) = 8160 POI files, each file contains a group of waypoints, not sure of the waypoint count in each POI file but a count of over 1 million waypoints in 403 POI has been reported so it is at least 2400 waypoints in each POI file

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2017
  5. JackCF

JackCF

I don't know why Garmin makes this so hard to find this type of information.
    Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for.
    Just ordered myself a 51ML.

JackCF, Sep 3, 2017
Ask a Question