RV 890 Mounts

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Shuff, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Shuff

Shuff

I have almost decided to purchase the new RV 890 to use in our 2013 F-350 (no onboard navigation) while towing a new travel trailer. Because of the size of its larger screen, mounting the 890 on the dash or windshield will block the driver's view of the road

Solutions I have investigated are: cup holder mount, air vent mount, or CD slot mount. I would like the mount to position the GPS so it can easily be seen by the driver and can be swiveled for use by the co-pilot. Since the RV 890 is a new model, none of the aftermarket mounts list it as being compatible. The only information I can find is that this new model has a 1" ball socket, probably because of the larger screen and that it has a powered magnetic mount.

If anyone has this model, can you tell me if the power cord can be run directly from the back of the screen, without using the magnet mount? And, can you compare the higher screen resolution to prior models?

This is a big purchase so I want to be sure we can mount it to be used below dash height and as stated abovve. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Shuff, Oct 1, 2020
  2. Shuff

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Take a look at the user manual for the RV890, it may answer some of your questions: -
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...B2EAA899321A/EN-US/RV_Camper_890_OM_EN-US.pdf

It looks like you can power the unit directly from the unit, but you would still need the dedicated mount / power adapter to fix it to something anyway, Also beware that the unit may only power up in data transfer mode (rather than navigation mode) if powered by the USB (no. 5 ) connector

2020-10-01_17.20.31.jpg
    No. 5 above is a USB power / Data connector
    2020-10-01_17.02.42.jpg
    The magnetic mount is required to connect to the 1 inch ball

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 1, 2020
    Shuff likes this.
Ask a Question