Strange behavior in navigation On Garmin eTrex 30

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Alex-ITA, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Alex-ITA

Alex-ITA

While navigating a track or a route, when I reach a waypoint, the direction indicator continues to indicate the waypoint that has already passed. Tells me to go back ...
    After approx 100 meters, the problem is corrected and the indicator marks the right direction.
    it's normal?

Alex-ITA, Aug 5, 2017
  2. Alex-ITA

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, there must be some algorithm that says if you are still near a missed waypoint then the best action is to go back, as you get further away from the missed waypoint a re-calculation decides it is more logical to go towards the next waypoint.

In some cases this behavior can change, a Route (rather than a Track), can contain either Waypoints or Shaping points, a Waypoint must be visited, because all points are destinations, if you miss a Waypoint you will always be directed back to it, Shaping Points are just a way of getting to the final destination, so after a while the next shaping point is selected

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2017
  3. Alex-ITA

Alex-ITA

I get it.
    This behavior amazes me because it also happens when I step exactly on a waypoint (distance = 0 and out of route = 0).

Very interesting is the difference between waypoints and shaping points.
    This means that if I define only the start and end of a route (without intermediate waypoints) navigation behavior might change.

I also saw that sometimes the field "name of the next waypoint" is not consistent with "distance to the next waypoint".

Do you know some Garmin technical paper I can download for reference?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Alex-ITA, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Alex-ITA

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In this case the Etrex will autoroute between the two points, following any 'shortest', 'quickest', etc. options that have been selected and using the current map on the unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2017
Ask a Question