Upgrade from Garmin Nuvi 3790 to Garmin DriveLuxe 50LMT - a backward step?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Geoff Ward, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Geoff Ward

Geoff Ward

Hello, I've just discovered this forum and I hope someone can shed some light on my questions.
    I have had a Garmin Nuvi 3790 for some years. It still works fine although a bit slow and the maps are a little dated. I thought I might look at Garmin's latest and greatest - the DriveLuxe 50LMT, but it seems to lack some of the features I've become used to.
    I have spoken with Garmin in Australia and they were of little help and unable to show me the 50LMT to have a play with. I had some specific questions but got little joy from Garmin.

1. On the 3790, 3 customisable data fields can be displayed down the RHS of the main map screen (in landscape mode). These are not shown in the owner's manual so a figure they can be turned on or off. Anyone know how? Garmin didn't. Maybe they can be turned on on the 50LMT in the same way.

2. There is no mention of similar data fields for the 50LMT. The 3 customisable fields on the 3790 can display on the main map screen any of the following:
    • Arrival time at Destination,
    • Distance to Destination,
    • Time to Destination,
    • Next Via point arrival time,
    • Distance to next via point,
    • Time to next via point,
    • Direction of Travel,
    • Elevation and
    • Time of Day.
    Some of these data are very handy to have on the main screen. Does anyone know if similar data fields can be displayed on the 50LMT main screen?

3. I have always regarded the Trip Planner on the 3790 as a bit brain-dead. You can plan out a trip, but if you select a destination that is not the next destination of your trip, it will navigate to the destination chosen and ignore any intervening via points. I seem to have to insert a lot of via points to get it to follow the route I want and do not wish to stop at those points and reset the next destination. My idea of a journey is to program the start point and end point and as many intervening points as I wish and have the navigator create a route on screen to include each point. Consequently, I do this manually by inserting waypoints or via points and ignore the Trip Planner.
    Can anyone tell me whether the Trip planner has been improved on the 50LMT

4. Can multiple via points be set up in a route on the 50LMT?

5. Are there any significant improvements or features in the 50LMT over the 3790?

Hoping someone can enlighten me.
    Kind regards

Geoff

Geoff Ward, Apr 11, 2018
  2. Geoff Ward

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't own the Drivelux 50, but here are some things you could try if you can have a look at one in your local store:-

From the Map screen select Menu (Three horizontal lines) , then the spanner icon, this should bring up a 'Select Map Tools Menu, ensure 'Trip Data' is checked then save, from the Map Menu select 'Trip Data', You should then see a 'Trip' Tool Bar didplayed on the right hand side of the screen, this 'Trip Bar' can be removed by selecting the 'X' at the top of the bar

By selecting any of the three items displayed in the Trip Bar, you can display a 'Customise Trip Data' screen, where you can pick any 3 from a list of items similar to your list above

When generating Routes, I recommend Garmin Basecamp, your Satnav will act differently when encountering VIAs and shaping points, there is more info. in the link here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-routes.46540/#post-226622

The things to remember are:-
    1. a VIA must be visted, so if you avoid it, you will be routed back to it
    2. If you avoid a shaping point, you will be routed to the next one
    3. Each Shaping point can be tagged alert' or 'don't alert' on arrival

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 12, 2018
Ask a Question