Zumo 595 & 2016 MacBook Pro Connection?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ray Sherman, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Hi, I would like to know if the following is the normal operation of the Zumo 595 when connected to a 2016 MacBook Pro?
    1) Once connected the Zumo turns on but, only shows the connection icon to the computer.
    2) "Can" download and/or upload routes, etc. using Basecamp.
    3) "Cannot" do anything on the Zumo itself as far as viewing newly downloaded routes, going to the main menu's, viewing maps, etc. while connected to the computer.
    4) Charges battery but, slowly.

I'm assuming that the above has to do with the way the USB is wired but, I did notice that when the same USB cord is plugged into an AC outlet adapter, the Zumo works as normal. I am using a USB to USB-C cord between the Garmin USB cord and the MacBook Pro for computer connection. Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks, Ray

Ray Sherman, Aug 18, 2017
  2. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 18, 2017
  3. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks for the quick reply......... I kind of thought that it had something to do with the way the Garmin USB cord was designed. As you stated in the other post;
    3) Some Nuvis (not all), automatically go into charge / computer mode if they see that the USB socket they are connected to has active data wire (as you would find if you plugged the Nuvi into a computer), using a different USB cable that only has power wires (and not data wires), will fix this problem.
    I will try to find a USB cable that only has power wires as mentioned for the computer connection. Any suggestions for a good cable? Thanks again, you've been a great help and I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not sure what you want to achieve, a 'power only' cable won't allow any data transfer, so will only get navigation + charging when attached to your Mac, is that what you want?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I was just looking to receive all you mention from one USB cable. Data transfer is the most important thing I need when connected to my MacBook Pro. Just wanted an option of observing maps, routes, settings, etc. on the Zumo while tethered to the MacBook Pro. Thanks for giving me a better understanding of the different connection types. Ray :)

Ask a Question