Zumo 595LM: How Can I Check Device and/or SD Card Memory Used?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ray Sherman, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I'm fairly new to the Zumo 595LM and thought I saw how much memory was used somewhere in the menu. I can't find it anywhere. I'd like to add, I'm about to install a 32gb SD card as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, Ray

Ray Sherman, Nov 29, 2017
  2. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not sure if this is possible from the Zumo, but you can examine memory usage using Garmin Basecamp, plug your Zumo into a computer running Basecamp then, go to Maps >> Install Maps >> Customise to view memory usage.
    The left image (with no microSd card fitted) shows internal memory only, the right image (with microSD card fitted) shows the total of internal and microSD memory :-

mem1.jpg mem2.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 29, 2017
  3. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks for the help....... I found a way in Garmin Express in which it shows my Zumo at 86% full with no SD card. I find that ridiculous since I don't have any planned trips on the device and I cleared all saved places as well. The following are what I have checked;
    Under MyMaps on the Zumo I have four listed maps with three being checked.
    CN North America NT 2018.30 FourSquare
    North America DEM
    CN North America NT 2018.30
    The fourth map is a snowmobile trail map that is not checked.

I don't understand what the differences are between the three North America maps. I'd like to add, I just done all the updates through Garmin Express. I should only have the original North America Map that came with the 595LM with an added snowmobile trail map. I believe the device usage is high due to the possibility of duplicates due to having three types of North America Maps. Any thought and/or suggestions would be most appreciated? Thanks, Ray

Ray Sherman, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Maps are many times bigger than everything else, so planned trips, waypoints, Tracks, Routes don't really matter, Garmin Basecamp will show how much space each map takes up, I think DEM stands for Digital Elevation Model and Foursquare is a version of Open Street Maps, but I have no idea how they got onto your Zumo

'Checked' maps are currently displayed 'on-screen', but even unchecked maps that are not displayed will still take up storage space on your Zumo

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 30, 2017
  5. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I may have to post this issue to see if I can get rid of what's not needed....... Thanks for the help. Ray

Ray Sherman, Dec 1, 2017
  6. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Interesting....... I just inserted a new 32GB SanDisk Extreme Plus card. I checked the memory through Garmin Express and it still shows Zumo at 86% full. I thought it would show differently with the SD card, am I missing something? Thanks, Ray

Ray Sherman, Dec 1, 2017
  7. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You need to use Garmin Basecamp, rather than Garmin Express, see the instructions in post #2 (and post #4), above

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 2, 2017
  8. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks for trying to get me there..... I did try this earlier but, I can't find the window you posted. The following is what comes up;
    Basecamp.jpg

Ray Sherman, Dec 2, 2017
  9. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks.... I do understand that any maps on the Zumo is loaded and taking space. I have my snowmobile trail map unchecked for two reasons;
    1) If checked it mixes in with my North America Map
    2) Not using right now
    Now I need to figure out why I have to check on three different types of North America Maps when it should only "show" as one. Thanks again for your help. Ray

Ray Sherman, Dec 2, 2017
  10. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like the Mac version of Garmin Basecamp is Quite different, I don't have access to the Mac version, but here are the steps for the PC (Windows) version :-

install-maps.jpg install-maps2.jpg

The two screens shown in post #2 can then be viewed.

The Windows version seems to call up a stand alone program called MapInstall, there is a link here, however I can't see a Mac version of this program either :-

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

If you log into the Unit from a windows PC you can see the Internal memory (Drive I) and the microSD card (Drive J), so you may be able to do a similar thing with a Mac computer

install-maps3.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 2, 2017
  11. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I came from Windows 7 and earlier........ I.M.O. Garmin has made it a major P.I.A. for Mac users. Basecamp is like stepping into the stone age compared to MapSource. MapSource was extremely easy to use and I used it for every major trip for years. With Basecamp you have to open this, click on that to get what you want compared to one motion in MapSource. This is one of the major things I miss about Windows & Garmin. Thanks for showing me how to do it on a PC. Ray

Ray Sherman, Dec 2, 2017
Ask a Question