Zumo 595LM

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Acemyboy, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Acemyboy

Acemyboy

I have recently bought a 595LM and find it a pretty expensive but robust piece of kit.
    I am about to create my first trip on BaseCamp and am wondering once I download the route onto my 595LM will I be audibly alerted of a POI (as I near one) or do I have to plot each one as I find one on my BaseCamp map?
    Any help is most appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alex

Acemyboy, Jul 25, 2019
  2. Acemyboy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Take a look at the the thread starting (Click HERE), it describes how to use Waypoints and Shaping points that will alert on arrival, in a nutshell, a Waypoint will always 'Alert on Arrival' and a Shaping Point can be switched to either 'Alert' or 'Don't Alert on Arrival'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Acemyboy

Acemyboy

Excellent, many thanks Nuvi-Nebie, Hopefully BaseCamp will display renowned POI's to satisfy an overseas group of bikers when touring the South Island of NZ.

Acemyboy, Jul 26, 2019
  4. Acemyboy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sorry, having re-read your post I'm thinking your intention was not to include the POIs as part of the Route created on Basecamp, but for them to be stand alone POIs in the same way as you would add speed cameras etc. This is possible but as far as I know for the POIs to alert you as you approach them they must be sent to the Zumo using a different package called POI loader, there is a link on the forum that coveres this here :- (Click Link)

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 26, 2019
  5. Acemyboy

Acemyboy

Hi Nuvie-Nebie,

Many thanks for your reply.
    My intention was to plot a simple daily route (Hotel to Hotel) and maybe throw in some nice scenic roads between them. I was hoping BaseCamp would intuitively and audibly alert me to a POI without me looking for and creating a shaping point on the map.
    Yes, perhaps rather lazy of me but being new to creating a route in areas unknown I was hoping Basecamp could assist.

Best regards,
    Alex

Acemyboy, Jul 26, 2019
  6. Acemyboy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You haven't said where the POIs are comming from, do you have a list of your own or are you referring to POIs built-in to the maps supplied with the Zumo?

If you have a list of your own they can be loaded into Basecamp and then sent to the Zumo as Favourites, but although they will be displayed on the screen you won't be alerted when you approach them, however if you send the same POIs to the Zumo using POI installer you can specify an 'alert' sound and a proximity distance for each group of POIs

If you are referring to built-in POIs already in the supplied map, you can only do a 'search' for them as far as I know, you can't turn on an 'alert' for them

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 27, 2019
  7. Acemyboy

Acemyboy

Hi Nuvi-Nebie,

I was referring to the POI's already supplied in BaseCamp. Once I zoom in on my proposed route on BaseCamp I will drop a shaping point on a POI, name it and turn on an alert for it. Hope this will work well enough rather than focusing on a visual reminder on my Zumo 595LM.
    Many thanks for you help.

Best regards
    Alex

Acemyboy, Jul 28, 2019
Ask a Question