24k map transfer ?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Jfish, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Jfish

Jfish

Hello and thanks for accepting. I am an old timer that has an 60csx used for hunting. 10-15 yrs ago when I was geocaching and depending solely on my 60 for navigation I knew how to move maps, use Base Camp etc…. I am considering the purchase of one of the touch screen models? I remember having to purchase 25k software and loading it onto the 60. I see 24k maps on the unit and there is a micro card inside.
    Question?
    1. Is the 24k map on the micro card? Or is or could it be stored else on unit and if so how do I locate where it is stored?
    2. If I buy an Oregon and the 24k is on the card can I use the card in the new unit? ie…will the 24k install on the new unit?
    3. I don’t seem to recall Base Camp transferring the 24k TOPO only the waypoints are copied, is this correct?
    Crazy how Father Time helps with losing knowledge if not used for a period on time? I’m sure I knew all of this back in the day but any help from folks here would be appreciated. I need a knew unit, feel confident that I can transfer waypoint but don’t want to have to buy 24k maps again.
    Thanks

Jfish, Jan 29, 2023
  2. Jfish

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

1) The Topo map probably is on the microSD card, you can check by examining :- Page >> Map >> Setup Map >> [Select Map] with both the microSD fitted and removed, if the Topo map is not available when the microSD is removed then it must reside on the microSD

2) Not easy to answer, if the Topo map is on the microSD then the Oregon will 'see' it however, the map may be locked to the 60csx, small files that are with the main map hold permissions that may or may not allow another unit to use the map

3) Basecamp can install maps onto a suitable unit, but you may not have used it to install the Topo maps, do you still have the Topo map install disk that you purchased ?

The Oregon will probably be supplied with maps of some sort and there are free Topo maps that can be downloaded and installed onto the Oregon. You can examine the contents of the microSD card by removing it from the 60csx and using a card reader on a computer, maps are likely to be at this location :- /Garmin/gmapsupp.img, there may also be some small 'lock' files, they are gma (Garmin Map Activation) files and unl (Unlock) files, you can check on lock status of maps using Garmin Basecamp >> Manage Map Products (See link below) :-

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/map-transfer.46625/#post-226900

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 30, 2023
  3. Jfish

Jfish

Thank you for responding. The more I thought about it I seem to recall actually buying 24k maps from Delorme? Seems like it was maybe cheaper or there was some reason to go that route over just buying Garmin? I recall selecting tiles and ordering them? A lot of cobwebs in there. But I appreciate the information.

Jfish, Jan 30, 2023
Ask a Question