Identify mini sim

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Greenwich, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Greenwich

Greenwich

I have a Garmin Navigator V and when I went to South Africa a number of years ago ( possibly 6-8) I bought a mimi sim with the SA maps on it.
    The sim still appears to be in my GPS but I am not sure whether it is the SA maps as it only has some numbers on it.
    I have run an update for Maps and Garmin indicate that this will have updated not only my inbuilt UK maps but also the sim.
    I want to clearly identify what is on the sim and whether it is a Garmin OME.
    The Nav 5 seems to be able to show up SA towns if I try to input them as a route from uk but stops at 80% aquiring satellites but this may be because to get to SA you would go throug North Africa and I don’t have those maps.
    Summary
    1. How can I identify the sim card contents
    2. How can I confirm that if it haha maps on it have they been updated?
    Cheers

Greenwich, Sep 17, 2023
  2. Greenwich

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK, the plug-in memory card is a microSD card ( a sim card is used in a cellphone in order to gain access to a telephone network), you can examine what is on the microSD card either by removing it from the BMW Motorrad Navigator 5 and placing it in a card reader connected to a computer or by connecting the Navigator 5 to a computer via USB and viewing the contents on the computer

You could also used a program on the computer such as Garmin Basecamp or Garmin Express to examine both internal and microSD memory and display the maps in those areas (Basecamp will give more info), unless the SA maps were purchased with 'Lifetime Updates' they won't get updated when you connect the Navigator 5 to a computer running Garmin Express, however when updating the Europe maps Garmin Express may use the microSD to if there is insufficient space on the internal memory and there is free space on the microSD

It is possible to check what maps are on the unit using the on-screen menus, eg :- Main Screen >> Settings >> Map & Vehicle >> My Maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 17, 2023
  3. Greenwich

Greenwich

Many thanks, yes I meant the micro SD card.
    I will try your recommendations and report back.
    Just one point, Sonce I posted the question I typed in Hoedspruit which is a town in greater Kruger and the Nav V recognised the location and indicated about 5,800 miles from the UK. When I selected set a route and then go it hung up at 80% but I left it and it came up with a notification that the overall distance was too long and that more info would appear as I got nearer the destination.
    Thank you for your advice again.
    Rgds
    Phill

Greenwich, Sep 18, 2023
  4. Greenwich

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have never requested a Route that jumped from one continent to another and I don't think it is a very practical thing go do, in your case you have detailed maps of Europe and South Africa but no detailed maps of Northern Africa, I think this is going to cause a problem, also I'm not sure how aware the satnav is when it comes to sea crossing especially when you don't have a detailed map of North Africa ports

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 19, 2023
Ask a Question