Look Out! Sneaky...

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by david7710, Mar 5, 2019.

1. david7710

david7710

I received an e-mail, apparently from this forum, saying that a post I had actually made had received a new reply. The post's language and sentence structure was odd. The helpful "Click Here" link contained a link that LOOKED like it was an official Garmin link, but with "Garmin" spelled incorrectly within the link. I wonder what helpful information I would have gotten if I had clicked on that fraudulent link?

david7710, Mar 5, 2019
  2. david7710

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Email was from this forum, it was informing you that someone had replied to your thread :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-suggestion.46935/

The reply was posted by a user named : haileyclauson, however the post and this user's log-on to the forum has been deleted : Today at 8:51 AM, so the post is no longer viewable, the bogus link contained 'garmnmapupdates', which as you say is not a Garmin site and I don't recommend following this link.

We do our best to keep spam to a minimum and in this case the Email to you (and another to me) was as far as it went as far as I know - Thanks for the info.

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 5, 2019
    Ian likes this.
  3. david7710

david7710

I'm sure that this forum has excellent spam control, because I haven't seen any here other than this. I just posted about it as a reminder for any that may not be consciously aware of this variety of scam.

david7710, Mar 5, 2019
    Ian likes this.
  4. david7710

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The post was only visible on the forum from 5:10AM to 8:51AM (GMT), so most users won't see this kind of post very often, as the Original Poster of that thread you got an Email message, but in most cases users can't find the post on the forum because it has already been deleted

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 5, 2019
    Ian likes this.
Ask a Question