Shopping for motorcycle GPS, need advice

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by ramblerdan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. ramblerdan

ramblerdan

Hello, all.

I'm a longtime Garmin user, having owned half a dozen of them over the years. I used to be a fan, but my most recent GPS, a Nüvi 2597LMT, was a huge disappointment. Here's why I hate it:

1) I like to program my own routes on my desktop and download them to the unit. If during a ride I miss a waypoint, the 2597 spends the rest of the trip telling me to turn around—even after I have passed subsequent waypoints! So the closer I get to my destination, the longer the estimated time to arrive, because the GPS simply insists that I must go back and hit Waypoint 3 when I've already passed Waypoints 8, 9, and 10. It's maddening.

2) The default programming on my previous Garmin GPSes was that when you touch the map while navigating, the screen switches to a wide view with 2D-north orientation. The 2597 goes to 3D view, which is worse than useless for getting an overview of the area.

3) The 2597 won't communicate with my SENA helmet radio.

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated motorcycle unit (Zumo) because I like the idea of a brighter screen, water resistance, and a more glove-friendly touchscreen. What I need to know is, does that series suffer from the three shortcomings listed above?

Thanks!

ramblerdan, Jul 10, 2017
  2. ramblerdan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 11, 2017
Ask a Question