Some Navigation Aids not showing on map

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Captain Zero, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Hi, hopefully this is the correct forum and some of the more educated on the forum can assist me with my problem. I am using Mapsource, (I know it has been superseded with Homeport) to created waypoints of my local waterways. The markers used on the water are the red/white navigation symbols. Attached is the pic of the Navigation Aid symbols in Mapsource. My problem is that 1 of the symbols shows correctly on the map, the other, (marked with a red X in pic 2) does not show. It reverts to a square black dot. BTW, I am displaying the map and waypoints on a Garmin GPSMAP 2010C chartplotter.
    I appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

Captain Zero, Aug 6, 2020
  2. Captain Zero

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

where is the problem?, is it not displaying on the Mapsource screen or not displaying on the GPSMap 2010C screen?

For non marine use Mapsource was replaced by Basecamp, so you may be able to use that instead of Homeport

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Thanks
    Thanks for quick reply @Nuvi-Nebie. It displays OK on PC in Mapsource but it doesn't display on the GPSMap 2010C or GPSmap 292 screens. I will have a go with Basecamp to see if I get any joy. BTW, This is a marine application I'm using.

Captain Zero, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Captain Zero

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

So have you ever seen the symbol with the 'X' against it in your picture displayed properly on either a GPSMap 2010C or a GPSMap 292?, if you haven't then it looks to me like nothing to do with Mapsource, Homeport or Basecamp, it's just a symbol that is not acceptable on these unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2020
  5. Captain Zero

Captain Zero

No, the symbol has never appeared on the GPSMap 2010C or the GPSMap 292. I have even tried it on a friends echomap 50DV to no avail. I have even tried it as a custom .png waypoint symbol. I agree with your assumption that the symbol is not compatible with these units. But I'm at as loss as to why one of a set of two similar symbols doesn't work ? I'll try and see if I can get an answer from Garmin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Zero, Aug 7, 2020
  6. Captain Zero

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would see what symbols are shown as acceptable on your GPSMap 2010C, on my GPSMap64s I can goto :- MENU >> Waypoint Manager >> [Select a Waypoint] >> highlight the Waypoint Icon >> Enter to show 10 pages of useable icons like these, please note this unit IS NOT a marine unit so the icons won't be the same for you :-

348.png 184.png 360.png 369.png 168.png 382.png 192.png 203.png 316.png

I'm guessing that the rouge icon will be in the Navaids selection on your 2010C, in which case, I think Mapsource must be sending the wrong code for this icon, if you already have the latest version of Mapsource you will have to use Homeport or Basecamp instead

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
  7. Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Thanks for your interest in trying to resolve my problem @Nuvi-Nebie. I had checked the waypoint symbols in the device menu. Strangely, the Red-White symbol that shows on the device is not included in the menu nor is the one that is not showing. Work that out!! I have also tried different custom formats and no custom symbols show either.

8. Captain Zero

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Where is it shown then?, if you can pick it from the Navaids screen of the 2010C, then you should be able to replace the 'square black dot' with the icon you require, if is not in the 2010C's Navaids screen then where does the red-white symbol show on the 2010C ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
  9. Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Just to clarify; neither of the the Red/white or White/red symbols are shown in the 2010c or 292 Navaids screens. I compile the waypoints using the symbols in the Mapsource 'Navigation Aid'. As shown in attached picture, the Red/white shows whenever I send the waypoints to the devices from Mapsource but the White/red does not show/transfer? Hopefully this explains my problem

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. Captain Zero

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes the waypoint transfers, but instead of displaying the 'X' icon the 2010C displays the 'square black dot', I am back to what I said in post #4, I think that no matter which program sends the 'X' icon your units are not going to display it

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
    Captain Zero likes this.
  11. Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Yes, I believe I'm flogging a dead horse, (forgive the pun). One interesting point as I said; the red/white symbol is not present in the Navaids 2010C screen, after the waypoint transfer, it shows as a 'ATON, Red White' in the listing. I'm still at a loss as to why the sister symbol doesn't show.
    Thanks @Nuvi-Nebie for your time in trying to help me resoslve the issue.

12. Captain Zero

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I did also try custom Symbols (Icons) in Basecamp but although the Symbol I created is displayed in Basecamp it is not transfered to my GPSMap64s, I shouldn't have been surprised really as these notes say it won't work :- Click HERE

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
Ask a Question